New York, NY
Principal Product Designer
New York, NY
What you’ll do
- You’ll lead multiple projects across the entire product lifecycle. You’ll set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate.
- Employ your strength in storytelling to present your vision and design rationale in a compelling, convincing manner to the wider team.
- You'll work with multi-disciplinary teams on strategic, epic-level, cross-company initiatives that intersect multiple teams and business units. You’ll proactively partner with designers, researchers, product managers and engineers to arrive at elegant, practical and forward-thinking solutions to big design challenges.
- You’ll take your seat at the cross-functional leadership table to inform the vision and strategy of the work that we do.
- Consider the two-sided nature of the problem space. You’ll play in audio-forward, multimodal spaces, introducing new ways for listeners to engage with ads and promoted content. You’ll explore how these experiences span different user types, situations and devices. You’ll work to define the systems and tooling that power these experiences.
- You’ll apply big-picture thinking to break down open-ended opportunities into actionable next steps. You will realize these ideas with the appropriate level of detail and fidelity at every phase, while tailoring those outputs for a variety of stakeholders.
- You’ll operate autonomously, defining and providing the business unit with systems to best execute against current and future strategy. You’ll drive progress through obstacles by balancing collaboration, alignment and decisiveness - taking responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- You can flexibly operate across different types of engagements. You love to think big, but you know when it makes sense to go deep. You can help lay the groundwork to set new problem spaces up for success, and you can provide exceptional hands-on execution as necessary.
- You’ll help us push the envelope and keep the best interests of all of our users (listeners, artists, marketers and advertisers) at heart. The ad-tech domain is fast-paced, prone to dark UX patterns (which we want to avoid), and not necessarily intuitive. We are hoping to challenge those antiquated values, and an existing understanding and ability to evangelize is valuable for the role.
Who you are
- You have 10+ years experience designing at consumer-focused product companies, SaaS or b2b platforms, or for agencies with clients in those areas. Experience with promotional strategy, tools and platforms as well as multi-sided marketplaces is a plus.
- You are comfortable in uncharted territories where design hasn’t historically found itself or where the rules and engagements aren’t already established. You can geek out by being a part of a team of pioneers bringing human-centered design into some of the foundational systems that drive our business.
- You are an incredible designer with strong design chops. Having shipped many products over the years, you know how to address the entire ecosystem, balancing both business-to-consumer and business-to-business considerations.
- You are passionate about design systems and well-versed in data-informed product design and development.
- You have experience working in an agile environment with fellow design, product, engineering and insights leaders to align on product strategy and make great things as a team.
- You are someone who has an appreciation for the role that advertising, messaging & promotion can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organization. You understand the impact we can have in this space and recognize the opportunity to inject the perspective of our users into a space that’s typically brushed them aside.
- You have a people-focused design mentality. You enjoy solving problems, big and small, glamorous and not, for all kinds of users. You are constantly looking to hone your executions through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
- You care about the impact of your work. You have experience tracking usage of the things you build, and using the data collected to verify its effectiveness.
- You’re an expert in your craft, but you recognize the importance of setting aside the time and space to learn and grow.
- You’re a fantastic team player, communicator and facilitator. You have the communication skills and people-focused design mentality to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts.
- You have the ability to mentor others to deliver incredible work and make strategy come to life.
- You have an online portfolio, or PDF that you can share with us.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting relevant entries in your portfolio.
Perks of being in the band
Extensive learning opportunities, through our dedicated team, GreenHouse.
Flexible share incentives letting you choose how you share in our success.
Global parental leave, six months off - fully paid - for all new parents.
All The Feels, our employee assistance program and self-care hub.
Flexible public holidays, swap days off according to your values and beliefs.
Spotify On Tour, join your colleagues on trips to industry festivals and events.
Learn about life at Spotify