Spotify’s Free Mission is the home of the team responsible for the success of Spotify’s freemium business model that allows us to deliver an amazing free experience to more than 125 million users worldwide and deliver user centered messaging to all users, both Free and Premium.
We are looking for experienced User Researchers to help us in the following areas:
We are developing a best-in-class messaging platform that enables Spotify to communicate with and enrich the experience of hundreds of millions of people. A User Researcher in this area will be helping to answer questions such as:
- How can we utilize our messaging channels to drive Spotify growth?
- How do we engage our audiences with relevant and personalized messages through the right channel at the right time?
- How can we build a cohesive experience for our free users across the messaging and ads landscape?
We are developing new and innovative advertising experiences for Free music listeners and for listeners of podcasts on Spotify. A User Researcher in this area will be helping to answer questions such as:
- How do users interact with advertising through voice activated channels?
- What is the future of podcast advertising and how can Spotify develop this nascent and critical format to be more personalized and user centric?
- How do we approach innovating ad formats across multiple platforms that serve both advertiser needs while improving the listening experience?
We’re looking for researchers who can design creative evaluative studies rooted firmly in generative research. You’ll paint an exciting vision of the future, and deliver on that vision through effective planning, various execution methodologies ( diary studies, user interviews, guerilla testing, surveys etc) and pairing with data scientists on understanding the holistic impact of messaging on user experiences and company key metrics. The vision you develop will directly influence the features and products we build for hundreds of millions of users.
What you’ll do
- Define, plan, and conduct user research through generative, evaluative, contextual, lab-based, longitudinal, and remote methods with a variety of audiences in the music industry
- Help drive our foundational research agenda, including frameworks that describe our users (e.g. segmentation, user journeys, JTBD)
- Partner closely with data scientists to direct and enrich strategic quantitative analyses
- Deliver compelling insights to the product and design teams
- Facilitate evidence-based product and design decisions, therefore influencing product development for Spotify free
- Develop and innovate on our mixed-methods user research practice
- Contribute to company-wide research strategy
Who you are
- You will have 3+ years (5+ for senior roles) years of relevant applied experience with a degree or higher in Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Social Science, or a related discipline
- You have worked in a research role at a consumer focused company.
- You have broad experience of qualitative research methods and you have deep expertise with at least one method
- You are comfortable planning, scoping, conducting, analyzing and communicating research
- You are familiar with quantitative research methods, metrics and A/B tests, and are able to synthesize quantitative data with qualitative user research
- You are an excellent storyteller and communicator, able to speak fluently to business people, designers, engineers and other key partners
- You are a dedicated advocate of a user-centered approach to product development
- You are an independent thinker, able to work autonomously, capable of taking on loosely defined problems and translating complex thinking into practical application for diverse audiences
- You enjoy collaborative work in a dynamic, data-driven, creative environment.
- If senior, you have experience in coaching and mentoring of more junior researchers
- We are hiring for the levels of User Researcher, Senior User Researcher, Staff User Researcher and Principal User Researcher. We are not hiring at the Associate level at this time.