We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to join the SDK tribe that’s part of the Consumer business area. Our teams are responsible for the APIs, SDKs and services that power Spotify’s consumer experiences platforms like desktop, web, TVs, speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations to make the product available wherever our users are.
The SDK tribe’s mission is to accelerate the reinvention and distribution of the core Spotify user experience, i.e. we provide a solid platform for others to build and experiment on. We currently serve millions of monthly active users through our backend services, SDKs and APIs with tens of thousands of requests per second.
As a Staff Engineer you will be part of the tribe leadership team and help the tribe develop and maintain a healthy and progressive technical roadmap that maximises our reach and impact for the business. You will grow the team and its customer teams by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assess the technical state of teams, advocate for best practices broadly, and give focused support to specific teams as necessary.
You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in reasonable time. You will also be expected to mentor other engineers as they grow.
What you’ll do
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team and within Spotify in general.
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise.
- Architect, develop, and operate Java based APIs and services deployed to millions of users.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems, creating awesome music sessions for users worldwide.
- Be a leader of the Spotify-wide backend and client developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Find ways to spread learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other engineers.
- Work directly with suppliers and partners to influence technical platforms and decisions.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify.
What we are looking for
- You have 8+ years of experience in engineering.
- You have proven experience as a technical leader for a team or department.
- You have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech.
- In the past, you have solved problems that affect the larger engineering organization.
- You are passionate about developing products for hundreds of millions of consumers and platforms that are used by hundreds of business users and engineers.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise.
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow.
- You possess technical knowledge where you can showcase your expertise by speaking at both internal and external conferences.
You will be working from our awesome offices in central Stockholm. We offer relocation packages if you do not currently live in Sweden.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.