Car & Wearables is a product area within Partner and Platform Experiences organization that are building the future of media experiences in the car and on your wearable devices. We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our team.
For cars we are building the next generation of in-car entertainment aiming to make listening to music, news and podcasts easy, safe and personalized. Listening to music and audio in the car is one of the biggest media moments for our users and we can do a lot to make this experience better. Our teams span bringing your mobile clients into the car and connecting with BT and Aux, all the way to fully embedded solutions in the cars. We work closely with most major car manufacturers so you will get a chance to influence not only technical direction of Spotify, but also of the whole automotive industry including the emerging Android Automotive OS for cars. Our challenge is to build and scale these solutions to more than 100 million drivers across the world.
Wearables is an area that is just getting started at Spotify and we are working on music listening on your smartwatch as the first step – but this vertical will keep expanding into smart earphones, other wearable devices, and VR and Augmented Reality. Our team is building great experiences for Wear OS and other smartwatches, as well as working closely with exciting partners like Samsung, Garmin, and many more to come.
As a Staff Engineer your role is to drive technical strategy for the whole product area. You will grow the teams by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assess the technical state of squads, advocate for best practices broadly, and give focused support to specific squads where they deem it necessary. You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in reasonable time.
What you’ll do
- Be a technical leader across the teams in the product area, and within Spotify in general.
- Drive technical strategy and vision for the product area, and help squads translate that into tactical goals
- Be part of exploring future system design and improving our architecture in a complex domain
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify.
- Work directly with partners to influence technical platforms and decisions
- Drive sound engineering practices within your teams and define and teach these.
- Architect, design, and develop advanced solutions and tools
- Be a department-level expert in a particular area and tribe-level go-to person for solving problems in your domain of expertise.
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth.
Who you are
- You are an experienced technical leader.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise
- You actively invest in your technical skills and leadership abilities
- You have a deep understanding of the product and business goals which you can translate into tech.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high-quality code.
- You are experienced working with modern infrastructure and tools
- You know and care about sound engineering practices like continuous delivery, defensive programming, and automated testing
- You believe in teamwork, agile values and leading by example
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.