We are looking for a Ph.D Economist to join the Marketplace Economics team within the Marketplace Business group. The mission of the Marketplace Economics team is to use the science of Economics in crafting efforts to improve Spotify’s business while strengthening creator sustainability. The team accomplishes this mission by combining the marketplace incentive structure of creators & intermediate agents (labels, publishers, governmental organizations and regulatory bodies) with internal and external data to test empirical hypotheses and build algorithmic measurement of performance indicators to improve the Creator Marketplace tools/services.
In this role, using our petabytes of data, you will help build data products and surface insights to understand connections between artists and listeners, track performance of our products and their impact on artists’ careers. You will join a centralized Economics team of researchers and data scientists to build algorithmic insights and novel research. This role is open to an experienced individual contributor and some management experience is preferred. You will be the leader working across Marketplace Economics, Licensing Finance, Policy and Public Relations, and the Spotify Research Community. You will build and deliver a research agenda on understanding the impact of Spotify on the creator marketplace. This role has the opportunity to grow to a manager role.
In addition to possessing a strong technical background, you will be a natural communicator who is equally comfortable explaining complex Economic frameworks to both business, science and engineering teams. You will also have a strong preference for educating others on Econometric & Machine Learning statistical techniques and being a people manager. Accompanying this broad set of responsibilities is exposure to many functional areas, as well as senior management, across Spotify.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and own the research agenda to identify Creator Marketplace wide effects and market trends that improve Spotify business products and finance recommendations
- Contribute to the strategic leadership of the Marketplace Business team
- Collaborate with business analysts and market researchers from other fields and business units to multiply the impact of your work.
- Be a foundational member of the Economics Ph.D. job family at Spotify and contribute to growing the job family throughout the company.
- Work on data projects that balance the needs of our two sided marketplace, considering the goals of artists’ teams while maintaining listener satisfaction and discovery.
- Communicate insights and recommendations to key partners at the Director, VP, and Executive levels and support external publication of research findings
Who you are:
- Ph.D. in Economics or a similar quantitative field (specialization in Reduced Form Causal Analysis is preferred)
- 4+ years of experience post Ph.D. (with some people management experience preferred)
- Ability to communicate complex topics using plain (non-technical) language and handle a variety of partners across the business
- Prior experience estimating causal impacts from both experimental and nonexperimental policy/business changes (preference for experience in researching labor markets)
- Have an understanding of demand and substitution estimation methods and approaches
- Prior experience with a statistical scripting language (Python (preferred), STATA, or R)
- You have experience planning, scoping, and delivering a research agenda to support business decisions
- You are comfortable working with distributed teams across multiple offices and timezones
- You are a communicative person that values building positive relationships with colleagues and partners and have the ability to explain sophisticated topics in simple terms.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.