We are looking for a Chapter Lead (Engineering Manager) to lead the Site Reliability Engineering team in the NYC. Site Reliability Engineers at Spotify design, code, and operate tools and systems to reduce the amount of time and effort necessary for our engineers to scale the world’s best music streaming product to 40 million users.
At Spotify, engineering leadership is shared by a number of roles. As a Chapter Lead your primary responsibility is to the people on your team – ensuring that the members are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, performing well and generally having a great time at Spotify. You’ll work together with other leads to build strong teams, provide technical leadership, and ensure we have a world class engineering organization.
What you’ll do:
- Work with SREs to grow their technical, interpersonal, and leadership skills, and ensure they have the right challenges and necessary context to make use of them.
- Cultivate a culture of feedback to ensure that teams and individuals are collaborative, purposeful, and high performing.
- Play a supporting role in technical leadership, deferring most decisions to engineers — this is not a tech lead role.
- Advocate and advance modern engineering practices in the teams you work directly with, as well as the hundreds of customer teams that use the infrastructure products and platforms.
- Partner with Product Owners and Agile Coaches to build, maintain, and repair teams.
- Work with the recruiting team to attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent.
- Collaborate with other leaders in the organization to ensure that Spotify is a safe, fun, and challenging place to work.
Who you are:
- You have strong coaching, mentoring, and teaching skills.
- You have excellent communication skills with which to build relationships, trust, and respect, and are able to leverage this to grow people and the organization.
- You have a technical background– preferably in systems engineering, or software engineering. You may have not had a lot of recent hands-on experience, but you should be able to dive into technical problems and have in-depth meaningful conversations about technology.
- You understand the problem space of operating complex distributed systems, including the delicate balance between speed of iteration and reliability.
- You have familiarity and experience in operating in complex tech organizations that work with a product that handles users at scale, making use of agile methodologies and tools.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.