We are looking for an experienced UX designer to work on our Ad Experience product team.
You’ll join a cross-functional group working on some key efforts, looking critically at how advertising and artist promotion fits into our free listening experience from user-centered and very Spotify-first perspectives. Someone who is passionate about developing strategies based off of insights of real people, has the mastery of their craft to turn these insights into beautifully designed products through deep, strategic user experience thinking, and inspires the organization by showing what is possible before it is built. Together, we’ll look holistically at how to continue bringing people the content that they want while making ads smarter, more contextually appropriate, and more relevant, while introducing all-new ways for people to engage.
We’re looking for someone skeptical (even critical!) of advertising and the current landscape of freemium business models. We want someone who sees this intersection of advertising and content as an exciting problem space – how does advertising slot into, augment, deliver or enable great free listening experiences? How do we balance what’s good for business with the need to champion, empower and protect our users?
Ask yourself: what excites you about being a designer? Is it tapping into some of the same user-facing problems you’ve taken on before, or are you motivated by new and unfamiliar challenges and chances to be an agent of positive change? This is an opportunity to inject the perspective of our users into a space that’s typically brushed them aside.
What you’ll do
- Lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. You set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate. You’ll work to foster a shared understanding of the problem space by facilitating cross-functional workshops and group ideation sessions.
- Play in emerging, non-visual spaces like audio interfaces and voice UX design, introducing new ways for our users to engage with ads and artist promotions. You’ll explore how these experiences span different user types, contexts, situations and devices. You’ll apply big-picture thinking to break down open-ended opportunities into actionable next steps.
- Consider problems from multiple angles. You’ll produce an array of divergent approaches informed by a confluence of user needs, business objectives and technical capabilities. You will realize these ideas with the appropriate level of detail and fidelity at every phase while tailoring those outputs for a variety of stakeholders. You know when it makes sense to scale your thinking into prototypes and high-fidelity mockups.
- Be autonomous. You’ll provide teams with the methods, process and solutions needed to execute strategy. You’ll drive progress through obstacles by building consensus and making decisions – taking responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
Who you are
- You have at least 7 years of experience delivering great design as a UX designer, information architect, interaction designer or similar. Experience designing conversational experiences (chatbots, voice UX), non-visual audio-driven interfaces, or ad-supported freemium experiences are big pluses.
- You are a deep-thinking user experience designer that considers the big, holistic picture – never jumping straight into high-fidelity, pixel-perfect design without thoroughly exploring every facet of the user journey. You’re strong at conceptual thinking with an ability to understand the user’s needs, motivations and behaviors and translate them into actionable deliverables.
- You’re a great communicator. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
- You have a people-focused design mentality. Even though you have incredible chops, you are constantly looking to hone your design instinct through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
- You’re an expert in your craft, but you recognize the importance of setting aside the time and space to learn and grow.
- You have an online portfolio, or PDF that you can share with us. A link to your online portfolio, or a PDF, is required. Applications without a portfolio are unlikely to be considered.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting your portfolio.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.