The Platform team creates the technology that enables Spotify to learn quickly and scale easily, enabling rapid growth in our users and our business around the globe. Spanning many disciplines, we work to make the business work; creating the frameworks, capabilities and tools needed to welcome a billion customers. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify.
Insight Foundations, which sits within our Platform Mission, is accountable for providing practice leadership, operational support and company-wide co-ordination for our Insights Community – including User Research, Data Science and Market Research.
We are looking for a seasoned Senior User Researcher, who will be responsible for driving excellence in User Research across the whole company. You will have wide-ranging influence over our community of User Researchers, who are spread across every part of Spotify’s business. You will drive the company-level UR practice, leading collaborative projects, and will have scope for impact on both the practice of User Research and on the business through project leadership.
What you’ll do
- Ensure that our research practice stays fresh, and our team continually learns from developments inside and outside Spotify
- Creating and leading a Community of Practice for User Research at Spotify, with support from the Insights Operations team.
- Recognizing and encouraging the right degree of methodological rigor in User Research
- Identifying opportunities for growth in individuals and teams, and working with individuals and managers to support it.
- Identifying training needs and working with managers to design and deliver training (both in-house and externally).
- Ensuring our hiring process, career levels and promotion processes accurately recognize and evaluate core User Research skills, and are in step with competitors
- Taking a holistic view of our understanding of our users and their behavior, and proactively identifying gaps and opportunities for new research
- Work with the User Research community to ensure our foundational research is useful, up to date and understood by all.
- Create, own and maintain research-based frameworks and artifacts to support and enable research and user-centred design activities. Examples of frameworks and artifacts might include, but need not be limited to: Personas, Jobs to be Done, UX Goals, standard definitions of behavioral metrics.
- Working closely with Research Ops and with the UR community:
- Identifying opportunities to create and/or codify existing processes, to support operational or repetitive aspects of UR (e.g. recruitment, how to run a simple usability study)
- Defining the “toolkit” for User Research at Spotify, and keeping it up to date – what software do we prefer, what equipment do we use?
- Identifying trusted individuals and agencies to work with, when we’re unable to do work in-house.
Who you are
- You work hands on with a wide variety of teams to ensure that both the most recent needs of the community are reflected in our shared practice and that behaviors of the community are changing to adopt it.
- When there are competing shared practices you facilitate discussions, providing your experienced perspective where needed, in order to establish a single view on the guiding principles or when to use which practice.
- You have 7+ years of professional experience as a UX researcher.
- You are a seasoned professional who can mentor others from a position of authority.
- You hold an advanced degree in a relevant discipline (HCI, cognitive psychology, anthropology or related)
- You are passionate about mentoring others and building community
- Expert in a wide range of methods, to a high standard of rigor
- Your passion for good practice is infectious.
- Formal management experience is a plus, but not required.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 258 million users.