Do you love music? Do you care about the audio world and the way people experience it? Are you passionate about how humans interact with new technologies and want to be part of a team that helps to bring beauty, meaning, and energy into people’s lives?
We are offering the opportunity to establish and grow a user research function at our Gothenburg office. Together with a diverse group of talented, fun and creative colleagues, you will shape how the world consumes music.
As a user researcher on our team, you get to be curious, think and reflect deeply to understand how people experience music and other audio. You will transform the qualitative and quantitative data you collect into human-level insights that will help our designers design, engineers code, and product managers strategize. We are an insights team working on the Spotify Experience. When you open Spotify, our work is what you see. Innovation encouraged.
In Sweden, things just work. Taxes are done in less than 5 minutes, the infrastructure just runs, and equality and social security like universal healthcare are taken for granted.
The Gothenburg office, located in the heart of the city, is a relatively small start-up style office, with a social and inclusive culture. We enjoy company benefits like group workouts, guitar lessons, unlimited (healthy) snacks, and communal breakfasts. Our culture supports a work/life balance and offers flexible working conditions. We encourage growth in all areas of your life and give you the time and resources to attend internal or external courses and conferences.
What you’ll do
- Identify the right questions and deliver the right insights that are supported by evidence. As a user researcher, you will help teams articulate the right set of questions, for their area and then work to get the questions right.
- Plan, conduct and coordinate diverse research activities by identifying the optimal research strategy and methodology to fit the question (user interviewing, classic usability, field research, workshop, ethnography, survey, online diary)
- Produce cohesive and focused research plans and have clear communication with project stakeholders around scheduling, delivery and product impact.
- Work with different disciplines (especially design and product management) to establish measurable goals in product development, and produce clear insights that will guide product strategy to the needs of real people.
- Identify and translate diverse user behavior and needs into cohesive insights that all levels of a product team can activate.
- Excel at storytelling and advocacy of the user. Deliver artifacts from research findings that are compelling and bring clarity and connection to the domain and people being studied.
- Work closely with Data Science to provide holistic insights into human behavior. Develop skills in quantitative analysis and synthesis and build on your existing experience to innovate on mixed-method practices.
Experience & Qualifications
- 5+ years experience delivering research with proven impact in product and design.
- Strong oral, written communication, visual and storytelling skills – you have provided clarity and delivered actionable insights from unstructured data.
- Ph.D. preferred. Minimum MA/MS in HCI, psychology, human factors, applied anthropology, sociology or related academic field with applied industry experience and proven impact.
- Experienced in different research strategies and methodologies, from field studies, interviews, usability studies, A/B testing, user journey, surveys, benchmarking and scorecards. Proven background in mixing methods to deliver insights.
- Experience planning and conducting remote research using tools such as UserTesting, Focus Vision, Qualtrics considered a bonus.
- Experience presenting to different audiences (product level to leadership) to build empathy, influence product direction and ensure human insights are at the center of product (or project) development.
- Experience working on ambiguous projects and in an environment that thrives on speed, agility, and change.
- Proven project management and organizational skills
- We’re looking for candidates who are Collaborative, Playful, Passionate and Sincere and who approach problems and solutions with a desire to innovate and change. Love of fika is considered a plus.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come to be a part of changing the way the world listens.