The Platform team creates the technology that enables Spotify to learn quickly and scale easily, enabling rapid growth in our users and our business around the globe. Spanning many disciplines, we work to make the business work; creating the frameworks, capabilities and tools needed to welcome a billion customers. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify.
We are looking for a Senior Staff Engineer to join our Data and Insights engineering organization in the Platform mission in our Stockholm office. The Platform mission’s team consists of six organisational units (known as ‘tribes’) that reflect the needs and groupings of our internal customers – from the shared approaches to supporting and aligning the craft and practice of designers, engineers, researchers, and data scientists – to the frameworks, capabilities and tools they need to do their work as effectively, quickly, and safely as possible. We are an amplifier for productivity, quality, and innovation across Spotify.
The Data and Insights tribe is 150 talented engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists and user researchers with the mission of enabling machine learning, data science, and data engineering at Spotify.
You will grow the team by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assess the technical state of teams, advocate for best practices broadly, and give focused support to specific teams as necessary. You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, and architecturally sound. You are expected to mentor other engineers to support them in their career growth.
What you’ll do
- Be a strong engineering voice alongside other leaders through advising and driving Spotify’s technical vision and strategy.
- Represent engineering in settings where deep knowledge of our tech stack is needed (Technical Steering Groups, cross-company work streams, Special Interest Groups).
- Support engineering leaders in defining and driving software craftsmanship and sustainable development processes.
- Take responsibility for the planning, execution and release of complex technical projects, define architectural vision and provide leadership for teams.
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with to initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify.
- Review code to ensure it is high quality, efficient, well-tested and documented.
- Find ways to spread learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other engineers.
Who you are
- You have 10+ years of experience in engineering, with a strong background in data infrastructure.
- You have experience working in a cloud environment, preferably GCP.
- You have experience in Java and/or Scala. You have experience working on large scale, distributed infrastructure systems.
- You work across organizational boundaries and build effective relationships to tackle highly complex technical problems.
- You have experience working in an agile environment characterized by rapid change.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 258 million users.