Technology powers the heart of Spotify. We believe that those who can move the fastest, can learn the fastest and win. As such, one of our tech strategies is to “move up the stack”, building on top of existing solutions where possible, freeing up our engineering talent to focus on areas critical to Spotify’s mission of delivering audio to a billion users, in a manner that provides a sustainable living for millions of artists.
Tech Procurement is critical to making this strategy a reality. Its mission is to empower Spotify engineering to make the best use of their resources through strategic partnerships and cost insights. We do this in three ways: forming mutually-beneficial partnerships with many of the world’s leading IaaS and SaaS providers, leading these partnerships to provide our engineers unique advantages, and managing the cloud financial operations (FinOps) to enable Spotify to scale sustainably.
As the leader of Technology Procurement, you will lead the purchase and oversight of all technology at Spotify. You will interact with leaders across Spotify and the tech industry, working to make Spotify faster and more efficient. You will be responsible for the entire space from sourcing and procurement to vendor management to tech financial planning and analysis. You will have a major seat at the table helping to set and execute our technology strategy. You will also practice all aspects of leadership: motivating teams, developing leaders, satisfying stakeholders, and developing new industry-leading capabilities in technology sourcing strategy, cloud monetization, technology FinOps, and vendor management.
Your experience should include leading multi-disciplined teams spanning technology, financial planning, and vendor management. Significant experience working at or with leading cloud providers is a key plus. You will be deeply immersed in the cloud landscape, on the lookout for new technologies, vendors, tools, and partner management approaches—and to be able to synthesise these into an easily digestible strategies, delivery plans, and metrics.
Spotify’s culture encourages innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness. We focus on continuous self-improvement, learning through experimentation and actively sharing feedback to constantly improve performance. As a leader, you will model these values, to better enable Tech Procurement to practice them in their daily work.
What you’ll do
- You will lead technology sourcing and procurement, vendor management, and technology financial planning and analysis (FP&A)
- You will develop, hire and enable incredible people and scale our team
- Stay informed of market trends and technology innovations, assisting other Spotify leaders with evaluation of new technology partners
- Work in a multifunctional team to lead sourcing and negotiation of commercial agreements with key technology providers
- Maintain the relationship between Spotify and our strategic partners with the goal to maintain healthy partnerships where both partners derive value
- Partner with engineering stakeholders to understand how your tribe can support and unblock their organizations
- Manage service level agreements with vendors, working in partnership with other Spotify leads to monitor performance, continually optimise value, and address issues when things do not go according to plan
- Serve as the custodian for financial forecasting, cost transparency, and realisation of cost savings for use of infrastructure-as-a-service and cloud native technology providers.
- You will be based in Stockholm, but travel to occasionally to New York, London, Boston, Seattle, and San Francisco
Who you are
- You have a deep understanding of critical technology for internet-based technology companies such as cloud computing, big data, or mobile computing
- You have a broad enterprise technology background and have demonstrated experience building accountability mechanisms, holding partners accountable to commitments, and resolving issues
- You have the interpersonal skills to build relationships between organisations that are characterised by a high degree of transparency and trust
- You have real-world program management skills, especially leading decentralised programs across a diversity of partners
- You are experienced leading development source-to-pay processes, in the tech domain
- You are data-driven, comfortable using analytical or data scientist skills, and communicates messages to different personas using meaningful metrics
- You want to make an impact—at Spotify and across the technology industry
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.