As a Backend Engineer you will be instrumental in delivering the next generation of services to support the continued growth of Spotify through building capabilities that allow us to deliver Spotify’s Premium propositions to fans around the world.
This is a chance to work on a distributed microservices architecture, developing services to handle high volume traffic. We build software iteratively and make decisions based on data. We are therefore looking for engineers who are comfortable working in an agile environment, building systems that scale. The work this team is doing will drive the next level of growth for Spotify Premium.
You will join a team where everyone shares a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability, and continued development. Together we try to find new ways to create a great Spotify experience for all our users at all times. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
What you’ll do
- Be a technical leader within the team you work with and within Spotify in general
- Coordinate technical projects across teams within Spotify.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional Agile team
- Design, develop, deploy and operate Java services that serve millions of users
- Be a leader of the Spotify-wide backend developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Hack on what you want during regular hack days and bi-annual hack weeks.
Who you are
This is a senior position, you will have more than 8 years of writing code, plus experience in leading and mentoring teams.
You will work from our London UK location with occasional travel to Stockholm and New York.
- You are an awesome experienced engineer that is more than comfortable writing Java or Python
- You have the passion to mentor your peers and problem solve the issues
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise
- You are experienced working with modern infrastructure and tools
- You are comfortable running your software in Linux environments
- You know and care about sound engineering practices like continuous delivery, defensive programming, and automated testing
- You’re familiar with designing and building distributed and scalable systems and enjoy seeing millions of users running your code
- You have experiences in building and operating software in the payment technology area.
- You are passionate about crafting clean code and have a steady foundation in coding and building data pipelines
Some of our great benefits include:
Free Spotify Premium
Free breakfast & lunch
Fantastic parental leave package
New office with fantastic views of London
What we value
Innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion, and playfulness are a start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands a good culture and will help shape it as it evolves.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.