We are looking for an experienced senior design leader who will lead, inspire and grow the design team that creates and builds the products and services Spotify Premium customers value and connect with.
The Premium business unit focuses on crafting the products our customers will value, marketing the right Spotify product to the right person at the right time with a focus on the long-term relationship we want to drive with them. Additionally, we create and evolve our internal and external commerce and customer support capabilities. Your remit will be true ownership of the end-to-end Spotify Premium user experience, fueling growth, deepening the relationship between our customers and Spotify, and ensure that other areas of the business at Spotify have the tools that enable them to reach their customers.
You will partner with other senior leaders in Product, Engineering, Product Insights, and Business to drive both strategy and organizational excellence. Design leaders at Spotify are deeply enmeshed in all aspects of collaborative leadership and you will contribute from your own rich experience across the entire Premium business.
Partnering with you design leadership peers across our other business units, you’ll help shape the consistency and quality of the design practice across Spotify through influence and thought leadership.
What you’ll do
- Lead design, through best-practices, attention to detail, and sometimes unconventional thinking, to ensure impact
- Lead a team of Design Directors and Product Design Managers that lead teams of hardworking, passionate designers.
- You will identify and grow leaders within the design team, setting them up for success through mentorship and coaching.
- You will provide context, support and guidance as the team works toward our business objectives — you will inspire, not merely direct
- You will collaborate closely with your product, insights and tech counterparts to shape an evidence-based vision for the user experience of our Premium experiences
- You will work with your Product, Tech, Insights, Operations, and HR counterparts to support a large (300+) cross-functional team of talented product development teams
- Be an important voice in our partnerships (Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc.) and advocate for quality when it comes to the Spotify experience as it is represented on external platforms
- You will be accountable for the breadth of designed Premium experiences across many contexts and platforms and, as such, will report to our R&D Lead
- Our R&D teams are based in Stockholm, London and New York. So while you’ll be based in one of these three locations and collaborate across the distributed team, you’ll also travel periodically to the other locations
Who you are
- You have 15+ years of experience leading product design teams at consumer-focused software/tech companies, including mentoring and leading senior-level managers (or managers of managers)
- A true strategic-minded design leader who is user focused, collaborative, transparent, passionate and playful. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it, and will help shape it as it evolves.
- You have experience in one of the following industries and can bring your subject matter to bear for these teams: Ecommerce, Financial services or Fintech, Streaming or digital content subscription services
- You are passionate about what ethical and accessible product design and development can do for the world
- You’re a player/coach and servant leader with practical UX design and research chops you don’t mind dusting off from time-to-time. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator. You have the communication skills to help you work cross-functionally with business stakeholders, You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You have a user and evidence-based problem solving mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your teams instincts through user feedback and data insight. You understand the role and importance of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge.
- You are familiar and comfortable motivating large design systems or surfaces that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of our user experience principles and business goals with the practicalities of a company that values speed-to-ship over all things.
- You have experience and comfort with remote collaboration — with peers, stakeholders, and partners — and management. While you can always travel to one of the other offices, you are a confident and capable leader despite our multiple campuses in multiple timezones/countries
- You have, in the past, reported to a C-level stakeholder or VP outside your own discipline
- You have a healthy network across the broader tech industry that you can tap into for advice, input, or inspiration, then bring that back to our teams and the broader Spotify design community
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of.