Infrastructure Engineers at Spotify ensure the music never stops streaming.
We act as a force multiplier for all Spotify engineers. We design, code, and operate tools and systems to reduce the amount of time and effort necessary for our engineers to scale the world’s best music streaming product to millions of users. We are strong believers in engineering teams taking operational responsibility for their products and work hard to support them in this. We work closely with engineers to advocate sensible, scalable, systems design and share responsibility with them in diagnosing, resolving, and preventing production issues.
What you’ll do
- Own, as part of a small cross functional squad, a particular infrastructure problem space at Spotify. For example bare metal provisioning, cloud provisioning, monitoring, networking, storage, or service containerization.
- Design and document systems, including writing and reviewing code, to automate away problems within your squad’s domain.
- Undertake measured, methodical, troubleshooting of complicated systems under pressure.
- Partake in an on-call rotation alongside the engineers who build our production backends.
Who you are
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- You have a deep knowledge of Linux (we run Ubuntu) and all layers of the networking stack. You should be confident discussing in detail what’s going on under the hood.
- You are comfortable with large scale production systems and technologies, for example load balancing, monitoring, distributed systems, or configuration management.
- You have a track record of designing and executing small to medium scale systems automation projects with strong autonomy.
- You have strong coding skills in at least one programming language, and a desire to pick up more. We work primarily in Python, with smatterings of shell script, Ruby, and Java.
- You have familiarity with and enthusiasm for software engineering best practices such as testing, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- You have a passion for solving problems using open source software.
- You have the ability to thrive in a rapidly evolving, globally distributed environment.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.