The Spotify search team is looking for a senior staff backend engineer to join our team. We take full responsibility for Spotify’s search platform which serves 165m users in 65 markets. You will join a team where everyone shares a common interest in scalability and continued development. Together we try to find new ways to create a great Spotify experience for all our users at all times. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
What you’ll do
- Make a significant impact on one of Spotify’s most central features.
- Be a technical leader within the search team and within Spotify in general.
- Coordinate technical projects across search teams within Spotify.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to build a best-in-class distributed and scalable search system and enjoy seeing millions of users benefit from your work.
- Drive improvement of the relevancy and performance of Spotify’s search by combining the capabilities of Elasticsearch with the application of Machine Learning techniques over our vast music dataset.
- Lead, design, and build a best-in-class distributed and scalable search system and enjoy seeing millions of users benefit from your work.
- Mentor and collaborate closely with other engineers and become a valued member of a diverse and autonomous team.
- Take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team making sure the services are up and running.
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth.
- Continuously improve our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
Who you are
- You have 10+ years of professional experience working in a product-driven environment
- You have 3+ years of search specific experience working with tech like Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene.
- You know how to work with high volume heterogeneous data, preferably with distributed systems such as Hadoop, BigTable, and Cassandra.
- You know how to write distributed, high-volume services in Java or Scala.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You are knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques.
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- You have the ability to drive change and decision making in heterogeneous groups
- You understand the value of collaboration within teams.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.