We are looking for Research Scientists for Spotify’s User Engagement organization. User Engagement is a high impact team that is building the next generation technologies aimed at making every user interaction with Spotify amazing through personalization and discovery. Our goal is to deliver the right content to the right user at the right time in order to maximize engagement.
We’re looking for talented research scientists who have applied experience in the field of Machine Learning, Machine Intelligence, User Behavioral Analysis, IR, NLP, and more broadly, AI. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team focusing on ensuring that the foundations of Spotify technologies are at or above the state of the art and, in the process, redefine the state of the art for the field and contributing to the wider research community by publishing papers. Our team has strong ties internally to product groups as well as externally to the research community.
The User Engagement team works on some of Spotify’s key features – personalized playlists such as Discover Weekly and Daily Mix, the Home view, and Search. Our projects are intended to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make impact on millions of users. Some of the challenges our team is working on include developing terascale solutions for understanding and interpreting user interaction signals, understanding user success with short term & long term metrics, developing algorithmically curated playlists and other challenges in machine learning and user understanding.
What you’ll do:
- You will participate in cutting edge research in machine intelligence, user understanding and machine learning applications.
- You will apply your scientific knowledge to analyze data, perform statistical analyses, identify problems, devise solutions and construct methodologies, including metrics and best practices, and conduct experiments to validate these.
- You will work in collaboration with other scientists, analysts and engineers across Spotify to design creative solutions to challenging problems.
- You will have product impact, while working on and further develop Spotify’s long-term research roadmap.
Who you are:
- You have a PhD in Computer Science, Data Science, or related areas with a strong computational focus.
- You will have a strong knowledge of data mining, machine learning or evaluation with experience in machine learning, deep learning, optimization techniques, information retrieval and/or natural language understanding.
- You have publications in communities such as WWW, SIGIR, WSDM, RecSys, CHI, KDD, AAAI, ACL, NIPS, ICML, or related, in the following topics:
- user understanding: music cognition, metrics and evaluation, large scale experimentation
- matching: information retrieval, recommendation, machine learning
- You possess solid hands-on skills in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating, analyzing, visualizing and modeling of real data.
- You have a passion for making sense of user behavior, using any available methods.
- You are a creative problem-solver who is passionate about digging into complex problems and devising new approaches to reach results.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.