We are looking for Research Scientists to join the Personalization research group focused on how people, data and machines talk to each other about music with applications in speech, search and music recommendation.
Our interdisciplinary Tech Research team focuses on ensuring that the foundations of Spotify technologies are at or above the state of the art and, in the process, redefine the state of the art for the field. As such, our team has strong ties internally to product groups as well as externally to the research community.
Spotify’s mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity—by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it.
Our Research Scientists are part of Spotify’s Personalization organization. Personalization is a high impact team that is building the next generation technologies aimed at making every user interaction with Spotify amazing through personalization and discovery. Our goal is to deliver the right content to the right user at the right time in order to maximize engagement.
What you’ll do
- You will apply your scientific knowledge and research skills to design studies into people’s reactions to Machine Learning-based interactions.
- You will work on practical applications such as voice, search, recommendations, language understanding, and related areas to music streaming.
- You will work in collaboration with other scientists, engineers, designers, user researchers, and analysts across Spotify to design creative solutions to challenging problems.
- You will design scientific experiments, gather, process and analyze product engagement data to support your research.
- You will work on projects that cut across Spotify’s organization, including areas such as product, marketing, and content.
- You will have product impact, while working on and further developing a long-term research roadmap.
- External engagement such as publishing, giving talks, and being an active community member at top conferences is encouraged.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in human-computer interaction, computational social science, machine learning, natural language processing or related area.
- You have publications in venues such as CHI, UIST, IUI, CSCW, IMWUT, CSCW, WWW, RecSys, SIGIR, or related.
- You have experience in thinking through user experiences by building prototypes of varying fidelity
- You are intrigued by how interaction design, data collection strategies, and people’s perceptions affect Machine Learning outcomes.
- You have a demonstrated interest in personalized recommendations, novel data collection techniques and music.
- You are a creative problem-solver who is passionate about digging into complex problems and devising new approaches to reach results.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.