We are looking for a Research Lead for Spotify’s Personalization organization. Our interdisciplinary team focuses on ensuring that the foundations of Spotify technologies are at or above the state of the art and, in the process, redefine the state of the art for the field. As such, our team has strong ties internally to product groups as well as externally to the research community.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for creating, building and driving the Tech Research function within the New York office
- Define research cluster around fundamental and applied ML research with academic and business impact
- Work closely with product teams to in order to drive maximum product enhancements through the use of research
- Lead lab’s effort towards long-term ambitious research goals, while identifying and accomplishing intermediate milestones
- Hire, mentor and manage a world class research group of senior technical research scientists with contributions to the external research community
- Ensure strong relations with academic labs
- Act as an R&D Team Lead for the New York Office
Who you are:
- 10+ years of postdoctoral industry or academic experience
- Experience mentoring and leading a group of applied research scientists
- Strong research track record focused on:
- Foundational machine learning: supervised & unsupervised learning, reinforcement learning, deep learning, representation learning, optimization, causal inference & counterfactual reasoning
- Applied machine learning in areas such as information retrieval, recommendation, computational advertising, and natural language processing
- Large scale experimentation: experimental design, adaptive experimentation methods (such as bandit optimization and reinforcement learning), contextual decision-making, automated A/B testing.
- Extensive publication record at peer-reviewed ML conferences (e.g. NIPS, ICML, AISTATS, UAI, COLT, ICLR, AAAI, etc) as well conferences with applied ML (e.g. KDD, WSDM, WWW, CIKM, RecSys, etc).
- Experience working in multidisciplinary, collaborative environments
- Experience working closely with product teams in a leadership role
- Desire to recruit from people with diverse backgrounds or experiences
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.