Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Crimetown, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values.
Gimlet and the Wall Street Journal have teamed up on a new daily podcast which launched June 2019 . The show takes listeners behind the biggest business news stories of the day. We explain how business drives the day’s headlines, and how the Wall Street Journal’s deeply-reported stories shape the landscape; making business news relatable, and revealing how business and finance are behind some of the biggest events happening around us. Thus far, the show has covered everything from sexual abuse in U.S. sports, to trials against opioid manufacturers, to Facebook’s newest strategy ahead of the 2020 election.
This role is for an experienced producer who wants to put out strong work on tight deadlines. We’re looking for someone who is experienced in fast turnaround production, enthusiastic about the Wall Street Journal’s reporting, and excited about storytelling and explanatory podcasts. The job involves pitching story ideas, arranging interviews, cutting multiple tracks of tape, writing tight narration, structuring stories into a clear narrative, and finding compelling ways to tell daily news stories. While this role is set for normal work hours, it also requires flexibility and openness to weekend and after-hours work.
What You’ll Do
- Pitch story ideas that can be accomplished within a tight timeline, and pitch occasional longer-term projects
- Book, prep for, record, and produce interviews with sources inside and outside of the Journal
- Write script and structure narratives for episodes
- Record and produce field reporting trips
- Log, cut, and arrange tape, build assemblies, score moments, and everything else production requires
- Maintain strong working relationships with the Wall Street Journal’s reporters, editors, and managerial staff
- Balance multiple episodes in production at the same time
- Work both independently and collaboratively, depending on the task
What You’ll Bring
- A minimum of 4 years producing audio in a high-caliber, high-output organization
- ProTools proficiency
- A passion for the work of the Journal specifically and business news generally
- Enthusiasm for a high-intensity daily production schedule
- Daily experience is a huge plus
This is a full-time role employed by Gimlet but based in the Wall Street Journal’s Manhattan offices.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.