Gimlet Media is here to create a world more full of human connection and understanding. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Crimetown, The Clearing, Heavyweight and Homecoming. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values, and we’re thrilled to begin building production capacity on the West Coast.
We’re looking for experienced producers to join a team that will launch a new crime show, based in Los Angeles.
This will be a wide-ranging role that will have an impact on the exciting experiences of a launch. We’ll be creating new workflows and formats, debating the kinds of stories we’ll tell and how we’ll tell them and shaping the sound of this new show. The successful candidate will be energized by that opportunity.
You’ll be involved in pitching, story development, field producing, writing and editing, and be part of a team of people, trusted to listen for qualities that will captivate listeners.
This is a role for a creative producer with a journalism background, who thrives under deadlines and accepts and provides constructive feedback to team members.
What You’ll Do
- Brainstorm, develop and shape ideas for show episodes
- Work with Host and supporting producers to identify sources, subjects and interviews to create a story
- Track down court documents, submit public records requests, find and secure archival tape
- Find, pre-interview, and book guests
- Plan field producing and reporting trips in collaboration with supervising producers
- Travel and field produce interviews with people you’ve been reading about and researching for months
- Arrange for studio recordings and tape syncs
- Organize audio assets; selecting strongest tape with other team members
- Outline episodes and write scripts
- Cut tape, assemble mixes and score episodes
What You’ll Bring
- A strong interest in the world of crime, punishment and justice
- A minimum of four years of experience producing audio for radio or podcast
- A journalism background
- An ability to listen to raw tape, and identify the perfect details, the need-to-know plot points, and the need-to-hear moments that make a story
- Experience scripting 15-20 minute audio stories
- Empathy and strong interviewing skills for the stories of those affected by criminal acts, including victims, family members and others
- Love of narrative structure and genre conventions (all genres, not just crime)
- Proficiency in field recording, with a variety of audio equipment
- Proficiency in creating assemblies in ProTools
- An eye for detail and self-direction
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.