The core of Spotify’s business is our Free experience, providing ‘Music and Audio for Everyone’, and delivering an amazing experience that sets us apart globally.
With over 100 million users enjoying our free product, we’re off to a good start. Over the last few years, we’ve built out an exceptional team to support our multi-user platform and marketplace which includes our listeners, artists, our internal teams and our advertising partners. However, we see this as only the beginning of our efforts!
The challenge ahead is how to scale the people, culture, design and business for both the Spotify Free user experience and it’s advertising, messaging & promotional products and services. We are excited to continue to improve our existing offering AND come up with new strategies. Whether it’s connecting the listeners to the content they love through our promotional touchpoints, expanding our footprint in the digital audio marketplace, creating best-in-class tools, products and features, and crafting innovative new promotional experiences for brands and artists alike. We’ve caught up with the market, and believe the next step is to take the lead.
What We’re Looking For
We’re searching for someone to be a part of our product design team to help lead the craft of our Free experience on one of our New York based teams. The initial focus will be on building strategies, prototypes and tools that help us to craft data, user protection, attribution and ML experiences for our promotional tech platform and how it ultimately surfaces across many of our different Spotify products and surfaces.
Your work is very out of the box, systems-thinking and goal-driven, and you will work to partner to create a human-centric, relevant, personalized and effective experience helping to drive the core foundations of our Free business. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity—by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by it. Our designers work collaboratively with business, product, research, and technology to deliver standout experiences that help us achieve our mission!
To be successful, you have experience in the following areas:
- Motivation – You are someone who has an appreciation for the role that advertising, messaging & promotion can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organization. You understand the impact we can have in this space and recognize the opportunity to inject the perspective of our users into a space that’s typically brushed them aside.
- Leadership – You have experience as a design leader in agile product development environment, and you are driven to mentor, foster and grow both craft and the culture in cross-functional teams through advocacy, impact and partnership.
- Collaborative – You have deep history working with other Designers, Product Managers, Developers, and Product Insights/Researchers, as well as a working understanding of some of the following: systems design, tooling, b2b technology, complex user ecosystems and/or media platforms that rely on advertising and promotion as a business model.
- Impact – We are truly looking to push the envelope and keep the best interests of ALL of our users (listeners, artists, marketers AND advertisers) at heart. The ad-tech domain is fast-paced, prone to dark UX patterns (which is NOT what we’re interested in), and not necessarily intuitive. We are hoping to challenge those antiquated values, and an existing understanding and ability to evangelize is valuable for the role.
- An Explorer – You are comfortable in uncharted territories where design hasn’t historically found itself or where the rules and engagements aren’t already established. You can geek out by being a part of a team of pioneers bringing human-centered design into some of the foundational systems that drive our business.
You will be responsible for creating outstanding human-focused experiences that recognize our complex user ecosystem and deeply focus on, optimize and drive foundational data, targeting and attribution and other promotional, advertising and marketing technologies across multiple products throughout Spotify.
What you’ll do
- Alongside your Design, Tech, Insights and Product peers and partners, you will be responsible for pushing the craft of design and coming up with strategies and solutions for a product area with partnerships and responsibilities across many areas of Spotify that support our promotion technology. Your work will include –
- systems thinking and design (ie. user journies, behavior/need mapping, data/tech systems as they apply to operational considerations/needs and ecosystems)
- Service design maps
- ethical considerations
- Framing user considerations in context to promotion, advertising and marketing tech (think attribution, targeting etc) and navigating how that may flow into a larger suite of multiple products and offerings
- design thinking in support of machine learning
- Data visualization
- internal tooling
- standards and patterns for data/insights that drive our ad and marketing technology across multiple user-facing products (both on and off our platform)
- You’ll provide thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Work with other design leads and designers to shape the data-informed product design vision for the user experience of the products we make in this Tribe, partner and advise on how those internal decisions affect the user experience for other Tribes/Missions. You create the space for others to collaborate across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Put a premium on listening to users, both directly and through the work of our Product Insights team, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Mentor and partner with designers for your product area and across Spotify.
- Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership of your product area, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way, including pursuing the highest levels of craft and quality in your work and how the work of your Tribe contributes to our holistic user experience.
- Work from our office in New York with occasional travel to Stockholm and/or London.
Who you are
- You have 10+ years experience designing at consumer-focused product companies, SaaS or b2b platforms, or for agencies with clients in those areas. Experience with promotional strategy, tools and platforms as well as multi-sided marketplaces is a plus.
- You are people-focused and have the right balance of gut, pragmatic intuition and a user and data-focused design mentality.
- You are constantly looking to hone your instincts through a variety of inputs – including technological considerations, trend analysis, benchmarks, user feedback, and data insight.
- You have experience with complex user ecosystems, data and insights-driven design. You see the need for human-centered design in those spaces and can evangelize the need for having design integrated into the business and technical decisions.
- You have experience treading in less traditional design spaces, like systems design, design strategy and machine learning.
- You have a full-stack toolkit of design skills to pull from and can use them to help to craft stories and inform how decisions in the fundamental mechanics of the platform can inform and affect the end UI and user experience.
- You are familiar and comfortable working within and contributing to large design systems that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of the larger design ecosystem with the local goals of your mission.
- You’ve shipped many consumer and/or b2b products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, human-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator and storyteller. You have the skills to help you partner with business stakeholders and cross-functional partners. You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge and fit right into our growth-focused culture.
- You thrive in the balancing short term needs while keeping an eye on and contributing to long term strategic goals.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting a portfolio of work that represents who you are as a designer.
What We Value
Dogmatic user focus, innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are the start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it and will help shape it as it evolves.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.