We are looking for a Patent Engineer to be based in Stockholm that will join our global Patent Organisation. You will primarily be working on protecting our inventions with the suitable IP, of which patents is one. In this role, you work with the product owners, engineers and external patent attorneys in close partnership. Most Spotify projects are split between different locations, and although based in Stockholm, you are therefore expected to coordinate with our US patent engineer, inventors and patent attorneys in Sweden and abroad. Some travelling is expected.
Other areas such as patent landscaping, freedom-to-operate and assisting the legal department in IP licensing and M&A activities are part of our remit, and will be open to you depending on qualification.
Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
What you’ll do
- Spend significant time with our R&D organisation to educate on IP and identify new inventions.
- Review invention disclosures, decide on appropriate IP, docket decision and initiate action.
- For patents: Take the idea from application through prosecution and grant working with the inventors and outside patent attorneys (you are not expected to draft applications but to review applications and patent attorney’s work).
Who you are
- You have an engineering degree in eg. physics, electronic or computer science and worked at least for five years in a similar industry position or at a patent office or patent law firm.
- You are experienced with the patent systems (EPO and US) and know how to read patents.
- You have a genuine interest in Spotify’s technology and a good understanding of the various IP that come out of technology development.
- You like to interact with people and communicate well in the English language.
- You have the drive and self-confidence to pursue the work efficiently without daily management.
- You care about details.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.