As the Operations Lead within Spotify’s largest and most far-reaching technology department (400+ people working on products that span nearly all key company activities), you and your team will have the opportunity to set and execute the vision, strategy, and goals for operational practice for our Technology Platform department. Our department covers technology infrastructure, security, and central design and insights functions, and acts as a central service provider to all engineering, insights, and design at Spotify.
What you’ll do:
- Build a deep understanding of how a technology infrastructure company works, then help to evolve that.
- Lead communications, both internally to the department and outward toward the internal customers at Spotify – e.g., to help market and encourage adoption of our platforms internally.
- Guide our engineering insights team to ensure that the work we do is data-informed and having an impact,
- Influence overall company strategic operations and help execute other company-wide initiatives, in collaboration with our central operations function.
- Plan and execute some of the most energizing and loved company-wide events that build community, expertise, and innovation (e.g., “Un-conferences,” Hackweeks, and Technology Strategy Days).
- Contribute to and support the rollout of our Technology, Insights and Design Strategy across the company.
- Improve our operational processes and cadences to accelerate delivery and capacity for innovation, working closely with sub-department (aka Tribe) operational leads,
- Manage our budget, in close collaboration with our central finance partners
- Partner with our HR partners in strategic workforce planning, organizational effectiveness and health.
- Shape how Spotify extends its technology brand and industry leadership in the open source community.
- Administer the logistics of our team growth, in partnership with our office and facilities team.
- Lead acquisition assessments in partnership with our M&A team (infrequent).
- Grow, evolve and mentor a focused team of passionate and impactful Spotify band members.
This is just a starting point and we’ll look to you to shape this role to further impact and scope.
Who you are:
Ideally, you have domain experience working with key aspects of technology infrastructure (e.g., data and machine learning infrastructure; or compute, runtime, and service infrastructure). More importantly, you share our passion in leveraging common technology, design and insights platforms and patterns to scale business and to enrich the speed, innovation and productivity of developers, scientists and designers. Having a background working hands-on in engineering, computer science, data science or design is not required. You must be someone who can thrive in a highly collaborative culture and love to work through influencing others. Your team will be small and focused, and so you’ll need to leverage your skills to harness the power of the broader organization.
Spotify will be different from any place you’ve worked before – more dynamic, more flexible yet more opinionated, and more ambiguous – and most importantly, more challenging. If this sounds exciting, we’d like to talk to you about joining our band. Additional requirement are listed below.
- You have a strong background in change, project, and program management.
- You have a demonstrated track record of improving process and practices with systems level thinking.
- You are versed in cloud technology and systems.
- You effectively communicate complex systems and processes, towards a diverse set of stakeholders.
- You have experience leading and managing people, ideally across multiple geographies.
- You understand the process and practice for creating qualitative and quantitative insights from data and research.
- You have a deep understanding of lean or agile software development.
- You have a solid base of business and financial acumen, with experience leading strategic planning, financial planning and analysis, and budgeting.
- You have experienced and thrived in high growth or high change environments.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.