The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next on Spotify easier and more enjoyable for every listener. We seek to understand the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else so that we can make great recommendations to every individual person and keep the world listening. Every day, hundreds of millions of people all over the world use the products we build which include destinations like “Home” and “Search” as well as original playlists such as “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix.” We’re a team of technologists, product insight experts, designers, and product managers in Boston, New York, Stockholm, and London.
The Spotify Personalization Voice team is looking for an NLP Research Engineer to join our team. We are seeking a candidate with strong ML fundamentals, extensive experience in Human Language Technologies, and strong analytical skills, to help us develop NLP components for integration across a number of devices and customer experiences.
What you’ll learn and do
- Collaborate with a cross-functional agile team spanning user research, design, data science, product management, linguistics, and engineering to build NLP systems at the core of the Spotify experience
- Build or improve features that impact our partners and make them better utilizing our NLU/NLP solutions
- Develop privacy-preserving data sampling strategies to maximize the rate of improvement of our ML/NLP models
- Design and implement data selection and annotation pipelines that maximize targeted improvement of existing NLP systems.
- Help give hands-on leadership around NLP solutions within the multidisciplinary team
- Set up end-to-end model training, evaluation, and deployment pipelines utilizing Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Be part of an active group of ML and NLP practitioners in Boston (and across Spotify) collaborating with one another
- Develop individually to continue to grow your impact, and help mentor peers
Who you are
- You have a PhD in Computational Linguistics, Machine Learning, or related area
- You possess solid hands-on skills in sourcing, cleaning, manipulating, analyzing, visualizing, and modelling of real data
- You have hands-on experience implementing production NLP systems at scale in Java, Scala, Python, or similar languages. Experience with XGBoost, TensorFlow is also a plus.
- Strong background in Statistics and statistical inference techniques
- You have 2+ years of professional engineering experience working in a product-driven environment with technologies (Scala, Java, Python, or C++) and cloud platforms (GCP or AWS).
- You care about agile software development and a culture of constant learning and improvement
- You have experience and passion for mentoring and encouraging collaborative teams.
- You love your customers even more than your code.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.