Spotify’s awesome Legal team is growing. We’re facing cutting-edge challenges that mirror the cutting-edge industry and product at the heart of our company. As we’ve expanded into more than 75 countries and our company has grown tremendously, we find ourselves facing new and exciting legal issues every day. As Litigation Counsel at Spotify, you will work on a variety of litigation, regulatory, and other contentious matters, and help shape the way our company thinks about and handles them. The work we face is constantly developing, and the workload is growing faster than we can, so we will look to you to think intelligently about processes and policies that will help get everything done.
What you’ll do
- Oversee litigation, pre-litigation, regulatory, and other contentious matters in multiple practice areas.
- Coordinate internally, conduct legal and factual research, liaise with non-legal stakeholders.
- Develop case strategy and negotiate resolution of disputes.
- Manage a broad portfolio of matters in the Americas.
- Advise internal stakeholders on dispute avoidance and resolution.
- Manage threats against the company, whether from partners, users, or content owners. Be the primary decision-maker on responding to matters that have been escalated to Legal.
- Handle requests for information from the company, including subpoenas and requests from law enforcement.
- Create scalable processes to deal with a growing number of claims.
- Draft internal policies.
Who you are
- You have a law degree (or equivalent) from a top-tier law school.
- You have 3-5 years of litigation experience at a law firm or in-house.
- You have experience with e-discovery issues.
- You have a passion for legal problems; you can explain legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- You have a facility with data; you may not be a techie or a data master, but you can speak the language and understand concepts around data.
- You are a problem solver, and can stay calm when problems come your way.
- You have good judgment — you can think a problem through when you need to, but you can also trust your gut.
- You are self-motivated and can identify and attack work to be done without being instructed.
- You can advocate for a position while balancing risk and multiple stakeholders and business considerations.
- You can juggle lots of simultaneous tasks and triage to make sure the right matters get your attention.
- You’re willing to get your hands dirty and dig in on projects.
- You work well as part of a team — both with other lawyers and with non-legal stakeholders.
- You have extremely effective written and oral communication skills.
- Any of media, tech, IP, and/or consumer experience a plus.
- You are qualified to practice law as in-house counsel in the State of New York.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.