The Products and Services Legal Group supports our R&D, Premium, Ad Sales, and Marketing organizations. As Legal Counsel at Spotify you will partner with and provide guidance to our R&D function across multiple business units. Our work is cutting edge, revolutionary and always evolving, so it will be up to you to continuously assess and advise the teams on legal issues using a creative and pragmatic approach.
What You’ll Do:
You will primarily partner with and provide legal guidance to the Research & Development organization at Spotify. You will work throughout all stages of product development and design and technology procurement and deployment.
- Ensuring that Spotify’s products are compliant with international laws and regulations relating to privacy, consumer protection, data protection, security, content, intellectual property, and other relevant laws;
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for a diverse array of technology transactions, including software licenses, evaluation agreements, external research, IT procurement deals, and more;
- Counseling and advising teams on all product-related legal issues, questions and requests;
- Conducting legal review in connection with expansion into new markets and ensuring our products comply with legal developments in existing markets;
- Establishing and maintaining all product-related legal resources, such as privacy notices, terms of service, etc.;
- Maintaining proficient understanding of international legal and policy developments that may affect the product and tech aspects of the business;
- Improve our standard form agreements and legal processes that help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach.
- Work closely with our business teams to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly (pro-tip: jargon-free!) and helping them synthesize legal and regulatory frameworks in developing their business strategies;
- Advise our teams on understanding legal contexts, issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
Who You Are:
- J.D., LLM (or equivalent), with admission to at least one bar (or qualification for Registered In-house counsel in NY).
- Combined 8-10 years of relevant experience working in a law firm and in-house legal department.
- Strong working knowledge and experience working with intellectual property and legal issues relating to digital products, technology, privacy, consumer protection, and media.
- Self-motivated with the ability to identify and attack work to be done without being instructed.
- Willingness to get your hands dirty and dig in on the details of projects and work well as part of a team — both with other lawyers and with non-legal stakeholders.
- Strong track record of working with a wide range of commercial agreements.
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel business teams by providing pragmatic, commercial and timely advice.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.