At Spotify, we’ve connected millions of people to their favourite songs and created a service that people use to discover and enjoy music they love. We’re in 55+ markets…and counting! We aim to revolutionize the way people consume music, and we’ll need some very talented people to help us achieve our mission.
We seek an outstanding Legal Counsel to join our expanding Legal team in New York.
As Legal Counsel for Spotify you will partner with and provide legal guidance to internal business counterparts in the licensing and content teams. You will work closely with other internal teams such as finance, business development, product, operations and the wider legal team to support Spotify’s music licensing efforts. Our deals are cutting edge, revolutionary and always evolving so it will be up to you to continuously assess and advise the teams on legal issues using a creative and pragmatic approach.
What you’ll do
- Support Spotify’s licensing, content and business development teams in reviewing, drafting and managing a wide range of commercial agreements, including content licenses with music publishers and collecting societies globally, label agreements, and global partnership deals.
- Improve our standard form agreements and legal processes that help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach
- Coordinate with product, engineering, reporting and other teams in connection with product development that may impact licensing needs.
- Work closely with our business teams to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively and help them synthesize legal frameworks in developing their business strategies.
- Advise our teams about relevant legal contexts, issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
Who you are
- JD (or equivalent) from top-tier university
- US state bar membership
- 5+ years of relevant experience working in a law firm or in-house legal department
- Hands on experience negotiating label, publisher and/or collecting society licenses
- Previous experience partnering with global stakeholders
- Strong track record of working with a wide range of commercial agreements with a content licensing, internet, media and IP focus
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.