As Counsel and part of Spotify’s Business and Legal Affairs team, you will counsel and provide legal support to our content and distribution teams on a variety of matters, with a focus on the development, production, clearance, acquisition and distribution of all forms of content. The successful candidate will primarily work on structuring, negotiating and drafting agreements necessary to develop, produce and distribute content and should be extremely comfortable counseling business partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impact.
What you’ll do:
- Draft and negotiate all forms of rights acquisition, production and distribution agreements.
- Provided day-to-day production legal support that includes, but is not limited to, business, creative and risk assessments, on-site or remote production oversight, S&P implementation, and conformity to other company policies.
- Advise the company on clearance issues, including those related to recorded music and music publishing matters, related to the exploitation of our content.
- Assist and support product and content operations teams in connection with product enhancements.
Who you are:
- Law Degree (or equivalent) from top-tier law school.
- Member of the California Bar or eligible to practice in California pursuant to California’s in-house counsel registration requirements.
- At least 5 years of experience working in a law firm and/or in-house legal department at a major studio, network or production company.
- Expertise in multifaceted content development/production from short-form to features.
- Understanding of all aspects of music clearances.
- Demonstrated sound business and legal judgment.
- Creative problem solver.
- Must be self-motivated and able to independently identify work to be done without instructions.
- Team player with excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable working in a company experiencing rapid growth.
- Great analytical and written/oral communication skills.
- Position to be based in Los Angeles.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.