The Products and Services Legal Group supports our R&D, Premium, Ad Sales, and Marketing organizations. As Legal Counsel at Spotify you will partner with and provide guidance to a variety of stakeholders, with a particular focus on our growing London office’s R&D community. Our work is cutting edge, revolutionary and always evolving, so it will be up to you to continuously assess and advise the teams on legal issues using a creative and pragmatic approach.
What you’ll do
You will primarily partner with and provide legal guidance to the Premium, Marketing, and R&D teams across multiple stakeholders. You will work throughout all stages of product development and design and technology procurement, and deployment and go-to-market strategy. Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that Spotify’s products and services are compliant with international laws and regulations relating to payments, consumer protection, privacy, intellectual property and other relevant laws;
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for a diverse array of commercial transactions, including payment services contracts, software licenses, technology transactions, vendor agreements, research initiatives, and more;
- Conducting legal review in connection with expansion into new product areas and new global markets;
- Maintaining a proficient understanding of international legal and policy developments that may affect the business;
- Improve our standard form agreements and legal processes that help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach.
- Work closely with our business teams to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly (pro-tip: jargon-free!) and helping them synthesize legal and regulatory frameworks in developing their business strategies;
- Advise our teams on understanding legal contexts, issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
Who you are / What you have
- Degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university.
- Professional legal qualification (solicitor/barrister or equivalent) with combined 4-6 years of relevant post-qualification experience working in a law firm and in-house legal department.
- Strong working knowledge and experience working with legal issues relating to payments, media, and technology.
- Self-motivated with the ability to identify and attack work to be done without being instructed.
- Willingness to get your hands dirty and dig in on the details of projects and work well as part of a team — both with other lawyers and with non-legal stakeholders.
- Strong track record of working with a wide range of commercial agreements.
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel business teams by providing pragmatic, commercial and timely advice.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.