Spotify’s awesome Legal team is growing. We’re facing cutting-edge challenges that mirror the cutting-edge industry and product at the heart of our company. As we’ve expanded into 79 countries and our company has grown tremendously, we find ourselves facing new and exciting legal issues every day. As Legal Counsel, Content Compliance & Enforcement at Spotify, you will be the primary counsel overseeing Spotify’s legal takedown practices and policies and you will provide legal support for the teams that develop, implement, and support Spotify’s content policies. You will also work directly to resolve escalations related to these policies and help build out processes for scale.
What you’ll do:
- You will oversee Spotify’s compliance with safe harbor laws (e.g., Digital Millennium Copyright Act) globally.
- You will oversee Spotify’s legal takedown process, across all content types, across all types of legal issues.
- You will work with internal and external counsel and government affairs experts to track evolving legal requirements across the territories where Spotify operates.
- You will be Spotify’s primary expert on intermediary liability and the hub of knowledge for global content regulations. You will provide legal advice across Spotify on these areas.
- You will counsel the teams responsible for building, managing, and enforcing Spotify’s content policies, including the Content Operations team and the Trust & Safety team.
- You will provide legal support for litigations and press inquiries arising out of content takedown issues.
- You will work with operations teams within and outside the legal team to develop efficient, scalable practices around legal takedown requests.
Who you are:
- You have a law degree (or equivalent) from a top-tier law school.
- You have 7+ years of experience in copyright and/or other content-related legal issues.
- You have a deep understanding of intermediary liability frameworks, with a strong preference for experience litigating cases involving intermediary liability.
- You have experience assessing and advising on a broad set of legal standards… even when those standards are new to you.
- International (non-US) experience is a plus.
- You have experience in partnering with global stakeholders.
- You have a passion for legal problems; you can explain legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- You are a problem solver, and can stay calm when problems come your way.
- You are a builder; you can work collaboratively (especially with non-lawyers) on finding practical, implementable tools and operational solutions.
- You are self-motivated and can identify and attack work to be done without being instructed.
- You can juggle lots of simultaneous tasks and triage to make sure the right matters get your attention.
- You’re willing to get your hands dirty and dig in on projects.
- You work well as part of a team — both with other lawyers and with non-legal stakeholders.
- You are a member of at least one U.S. state bar and are qualified to practice law as in-house counsel in the State of New York.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.