The Spotify search team is looking for a senior staff ML engineer to join our team. We take full responsibility for Spotify search platform which serves 165m users in 65 markets. You will join a team where everyone shares a common interest in scalability and continued development. Together we try to find new ways to create a great Spotify experience for all our users at all times. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
What you’ll do
- Work on one of the most central feature of the Spotify product.
- Be a technical leader within the search team and within Spotify in general.
- Coordinate technical projects across search teams within Spotify.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to build a best-in-class ML powered search algorithms and enjoy seeing millions of users benefit from your work.
- Drive improvement of the relevancy and performance of Spotify’s search by combining the capabilities of Elasticsearch with the application of Machine Learning techniques over our vast music dataset.
- Lead, design, and build a best-in-class ML driven distributed and scalable search system and enjoy seeing millions of users benefit from your work.
- Mentor and collaborate closely with other engineers and become a valued member of a diverse and autonomous team.
- Take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team making sure the services up and running.
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth.
- Continuously improve our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
Who you are
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. in Machine Learning, or related field preferred.
- You have experience implementing machine learning systems at scale in Java, Scala, Python or similar (not just R or Matlab)
- You have at least 10+ years of professional experience working in a product-driven environment, out of which 3+ years are in search products.
- Search specific experience with web search or information retrieval.
- Expertise in ML applied to web search: classification, learning to rank, deep learning for information retrieval, multi-armed bandits, etc.
- Experience with training systems based on large scale implicit user behavior including handling feedback loops and presentation bias.
- Experience working with ML frameworks like TensorFlow, XGBoost, Scikit-learn, or Google Cloud ML.
- You preferably have experience with machine learning infrastructure and platform for search ranking, including experience with frameworks like Hadoop, Scalding, Spark, Storm, Cassandra, Kafka, etc.
- You stay up to date with machine learning publications and regularly attend conferences like SIGIR, WSDM, WWW, CIKM, etc.
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- Experience mentoring and growing collaborative teams.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.