Spotify’s awesome Legal team is growing. We’re facing cutting-edge challenges that mirror the cutting-edge industry and product at the heart of our company. As we’ve expanded into 79 countries and our company has grown tremendously, we find ourselves facing new and exciting legal issues every day. As Head of US Litigations & Global Copyright at Spotify, you will have lead responsibility for overseeing our copyright programs, counseling on copyright matters and managing copyright disputes around the world. You will also oversee Spotify’s broader litigation portfolio in the Americas.
What you’ll do:
- You will have primary responsibility for all copyright disputes globally, overseeing a team of in-house and external lawyers.
- You will have primary responsibility for all music-related judicial and administrative proceedings (e.g., rate-setting proceedings) globally.
- You will oversee Spotify’s litigation portfolio in the Americas.
- You will be Spotify’s primary expert on copyright laws, working with a network of internal and external counsel around the world.
- You will oversee Spotify’s copyright programs, including its DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) process.
- You will work with other teams at Spotify to provide guidance on pending legislation and to ensure compliance with existing and upcoming laws.
- You will serve as an internal source of expertise for lawyers advising on the development of new product features, the introduction of new content types, and the introduction of new geographic territories.
- You will support transactional/deal teams that are drafting and negotiating copyright-related agreements.
Who you are:
- You have a law degree (or equivalent) from a top-tier law school.
- You have 12+ years of experience in copyright litigation and counseling.
- You have experience with music-related copyright law… but not strictly music-related copyright law.
- You have experience with copyright policy / legislation / lobbying.
- International (non-US) experience is a plus.
- You have experience in partnering with global stakeholders.
- You have a passion for legal problems; you can explain legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- You are a problem solver, and can stay calm when problems come your way.
- You are self-motivated and can identify and attack work to be done without being instructed.
- You can juggle lots of simultaneous tasks and triage to make sure the right matters get your attention.
- You’re willing to get your hands dirty and dig in on projects.
- You work well as part of a team — both with other lawyers and with non-legal stakeholders.
- You are a member of at least one U.S. state bar and are qualified to practice law as in-house counsel in the State of New York.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.