We are looking for a Head of Research for Spotify’s data organization (“Data Mission”). Our research team conducts foundational research on all aspects of Spotify — users, creators, product, content — to develop models, produce actionable insights, and generate proprietary data in support of our long-term goals. We combine data, behavioral and network science, applied math, and machine learning.The Data Mission is responsible for making Spotify a data-first company.
What you’ll do
- Lead and develop a team of roughly 20 research scientists in New York and Stockholm and grow the team in both the US and Europe
- Cultivate research excellence through current programs like peer review and knowledge sharing, and new efforts you develop
- Shape and steer data-intensive research projects toward business application targets and objectives
- Develop proposals for new research projects
- Collaborate closely with the Head of Engineering to scale the output from Research and with the Head of Data Solutions (our internal consultancy) to drive business applications
- Report to the VP Data and be part of the leadership team of Spotify’s data and analytics organization, helping set the overall direction and culture
- Help make Spotify a data-first company
Who you are
- You have a PhD in math or science and substantial experience in all major aspects of data science, including statistics and machine learning
- You are recognized professionally for your scientific contributions to one or more disciplines
- You have built and/or led a team of research scientists in a commercial setting, ideally across multiple locations
- You are ambitious and ready to build an industry-leading research team
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.