We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Web API squad in the SDK tribe, a part of the Consumer business area. The squad is responsible for the APIs that power Spotify’s consumer experiences platforms like desktop, web, TVs, speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations to make the product available wherever our users are. We currently serve millions of monthly active users through our backend services and our APIs gets hit with tens of thousands of requests per second. If you are passionate about high volume systems and excited about API design this is for you!
As an Engineering Manager you will be part of the tribe leadership team and help the tribe develop and maintain a healthy and progressive technical roadmap that maximises our reach and impact for the business. You will grow and develop the team by hiring and mentoring the high-caliber engineers and help them solve complex engineering challenges.
You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in reasonable time.
What you’ll do
- Make a significant meaningful impact on some of Spotify’s most central consumer features
- You will build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, supporting, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Ensure healthy delivery of world-class products by working closely with the team, Product Managers and partners
- Grow a healthy collaborative engineering culture
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in the squad and the wider tribe
- Help architect, develop, and operate Java based APIs and services used by millions of users
- Be a contributing leader of the Spotify-wide backend community that is affecting and driving our architecture across the organisation
- Find ways to spread learning and technical knowledge across the organization, leveling up your engineering practices and mentoring your squad
- Stockholm will be your base with some occasional travel to our international offices
Who you are
- Passionate about software engineering craftsmanship and love to have an impact on large-scale tech problems!
- Have 4+ years of proven experience as a technical leader for a team.
- Passionate about transformational leadership and bottom-up culture, invested in developing both great engineers and great teams
- Have supported production-grade systems from idea to launch
- Have extensive previous experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment
- Have experience mentoring and supporting engineering teams, encouraging the best engineering practices
- Possess a good understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech
- Have experience working with API design, defining and maintaining world class service levels for important partner integrations
- Have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions. You are proficient in Java or any similar OO languages
- Passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best-practices in your areas of expertise
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow
- You possess technical knowledge where you can showcase your expertise by speaking at both internal and external conferences
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.