We’re looking for a dynamic Engineering Manager to work on our Mobile Voice squad here in Stockholm. This team is responsible for working with the various digital assistants such as Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, etc and how they work with Spotify. This is a new team with lots of new technology. Your main areas of responsibility can be broken down as follows:
- Software Delivery
- Engineering Craft
- Individual and Team
- Administrative Operations
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with your Product and Design colleagues to ensure your team has a clear understanding of the strategy, outcomes, and goals for what they will work on
- Ensure the delivery of software on time that is secure, high quality, and performant, meeting the standards set internally by Spotify
- Understand the data we collect in your team and how it relates to the business value being produced
- Help your developers use industry best practices for designing, planning, delivering, and documenting the software they produce
- Ensure that the squad has a process for continuous improvement in all different aspects of software development like planning, estimating, developing, testing etc and share metrics to demonstrate progress
- When appropriate, serve as the main point of contact for other teams and partners to represent your team’s point of view and to see that their concerns are addressed
- See that the cycle time for work completed is tracked and optimized for a high frequency of delivery combined with a low defect rate
- Ensure your engineers understand the importance of having metrics on the technical components and systems they own and operate
- Have visibility into the code being added and removed, and have an accurate measure of the quality of the work and the cost of architectural trade-offs, implementation, testing, maintenance and ownership
- Handle tech debt as it occurs to keep the code base healthy with the long term in mind
- Actively work on influencing architecture and system design and influence sound technical work across the team, and the wider area as necessary
Who you are
- Assess new ways of working, new technologies, new practices. Encourage your squad to experiment with them in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Track and seek to improve the qualitative and quantitative health and performance metrics for the squad and the individual.
- Coach and grow individuals in their craft by being a role model and by mentoring engineers
- Build a sense of trust, accountability, responsibility among your engineers by maintaining regular open and constructive two-way feedback
- Build, support, and maintain a healthy culture of learning, experimentation, and collaboration valuing the team’s output above any individual’s output
- Encourage and foster a healthy relationship of your squad with other squads. As an EM you show this by example by actively seeking contact and working together with other EM’s across the company.
- Care for the individual’s well-being to prevent burnout and to foster sustained high creativity and output
- Help guide your reports on their career path by providing actionable feedback on a regular basis and sharing resources where helpful
- Make sure that the team competence need is covered both short and long term including considerations around diversity & seniority balancing as well as succession planning
- Work with the recruiting team to attract, onboard and retain diverse top talent where you have identified needs
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come to be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.