As an engineering manager at Spotify your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work and generally having a great time at Spotify. As a lead for strong engineers in R&D, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will also have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery and work with your team on strategy and execution, all with close collaboration with other leaders in the organization.
This Engineering Manager position is in the Playback Tribe and the new manager will work directly with a team that builds our video playback capabilities. The Playback Tribe owns a big part of the core Spotify experience — making users feel like all the content in the world is in their pocket — from encoding, through delivery and download, on to playback context and core audio and video decoding and playback. We have a unique cross-section of client, backend, and network engineering, with a heap of data analysis as well. We keep Spotify running smoothly and help drive both significant user experience improvements and significant cost savings for Spotify in the long-term.
We do not expect any specific domain knowledge around video playback for this role.
What you’ll do
- You will build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the tribe leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- You will be based in Stockholm, but occasionally travel globally
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high-quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.