The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them.
The Personalization team seeks to understand the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else so that we can make great recommendations to every individual person and keep the world listening. Everyday, hundreds of millions of people all over the world use the products we build which include destinations like “Home” and “Search” as well as original playlists such as “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix.” The Listening Experiences product area — within the Personalization team — makes personalized playlists that meet every user need. We’re a team of technologists, product insights experts, designers, product managers, and music experts in Boston, New York, Stockholm, and London.
We’re seeking an experienced Engineering Manager in New York City with expertise in user-facing recommendations and discovery products to give management to engineers and leadership to teams building our next generation of personalized playlists. As part of a cross-functional leadership team, you’ll evolve our technology strategy for content discovery in personalized playlists, with a strong focus on modeling user needs.
What You’ll Do
- Serve a group of engineers as manager through hiring, coaching, mentoring, and career development.
- Be a leader of one or more teams, taking accountability for delivery and technological health. This happens through technological coaching in everything from architectural vision to operational excellence and through collaboration with product management in setting and executing against the right goals.
- Give leadership to other efforts that fit your passion and Spotify’s needs in collaboration with other managers and engineers in the product area, tribe, mission, or across Spotify.
- Provide guidance and collaborate with engineers and product managers on music and talk audio recommendations, machine learning, and engineering.
- In partnership with a product manager and a team of engineers, develop a deep understanding of user needs for discovery and model those user needs with technology.
- Be a good customer to the platform teams that provide tools and data to our product-focused teams.
Who You Are
- You thrive when helping individuals develop to be their best
- You thrive when shipping phenomenal products that meet users’ needs
- You are passionate about creative machine-learning-driven products, specifically recommendation systems, and the substantial challenges they can address, especially within Spotify’s mission to unlock the potential of human creativity
- You have experience in cultivating a strong agile engineering culture by building and empowering highly effective teams to learn quickly and deliver value through rapid iteration
- You are an experienced manager with strong people skills and leadership experience
- You have previous industry experience with the application of recommendations technology
- You love staying up-to-date with the state-of-the-art in machine learning and recommendations — and musicology — through review of research
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 258 million users.