We are looking for an Engineering Manager (Chapter Lead) to drive the backend and data engineering practice within Spotify’s User Engagement group. In this role, you will be instrumental in building the team and designing the approach with which we combine our understanding of music with our 140M+ users’ unique tastes and preferences, helping music fans listen longer, find new artists they love, and come back to Spotify more often.
Our team is responsible for the Spotify Home page, personalized playlists (Discover Weekly, Daily Mix, Release Radar), the Radio feature, our tools for music editors, and the platform that publishes content into all Spotify surfaces.
Our organization of technologists, designers, and product managers is located primarily in New York, with close ties to teams in Boston and Stockholm.
What you’ll do
- Develop people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and feedback
- Work with the recruiting team to attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent
- Work closely with teams, product owners, agile coaches, and other stakeholders to ensure we deliver world-class personalized user features
- Take responsibility for teams’ delivery
- Help drive innovation in teams
- Grow the technical expertise of your teams leveraging state of the art tools (including Google Cloud Platform offering)
- Help establishing and advocate best quality practices across the organization (both on data and backend)
- You will work with close counterparts in other disciplines as part of a cross-functional team, and nurture this culture in your team
- You will be based in New York, but travel occasionally
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing so
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching, and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You are an experienced leader in using modern practices and tools to ingest, move, process, store, and expose consumer-scale datasets
- You are well-versed in data-driven and data-informed product development
- You are comfortable with the nuts and bolts of both data engineering and data science
- You have experience in fostering a strong engineering culture in an agile and devops environment
- You want to make an impact
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.