We are looking for a skilled Engineering Manager – Backend/Data to lead an effective engineering team to build advanced, big data, solutions in the publishing royalties space.
Working in the publishing space means in short that you and your team will build solutions that make sure that we effectively and safely handle our payouts to Collecting Societies and Publishers. These payouts will eventually reach the composers and lyricists of the world and compensate them for their creative and artistic work.
Knowing who owns what and who to pay is partly an unsolved industry problem and we as Spotify are in a position to lead and create a profound industry solution here over time. This adds a dimension which we believe makes this position particularly exciting and interesting.
As we are relocating an existing team from Stockholm to New York to facilitate collaboration with stakeholders across the company you will set out to recruit right from the start. In addition to the people management part, you will ultimately be responsible for the team’s delivery and work closely with the team and a Product Manager to define what to build and in what order.
What you’ll do
- Drive and optimise delivery, making sure we use best practices when it comes to teamwork and software development.
- Develop people and teams through coaching and mentoring.
- Facilitate collaboration across squads and functions.
- Grow the technical expertise of your team around quality, scalability, performance, and fault tolerance using state of the art tools and technologies, including GCP, Scala and Dataflow.
- Advocate and promote leadership at all levels within the larger engineering community
- Over time, if it is your passion, you will be able to actively contribute to the team’s code base
- Work closely with the recruitment team to hire and onboard backend and data engineers
- Work from our office in NYC and be occasionally willing to travel to other Spotify offices
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a tracked record doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development and best agile practices
- You are experienced with leading, coaching, and mentoring individuals and teams
- You have previous experience developing and maintaining backend services and data pipelines
- You might have experience from the publishing royalties space, but this is not a requirement.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.
Psst! If this job is your perfect match and you want some inside tips before you apply, read this blog post by our Head of Talent Acquisition Fredrik Johnsson.