We are seeking to recruit an exceptional candidate to join our licensing team in New York, NY to assist our Global Head of Publisher Licensing with managing our U.S. Publishing commercial licensing relationships. This role will be responsible for negotiating and securing all publishing rights Spotify requires to run its business in the United States. In addition, this role will be heavily involved in Spotify’s strategic development in the publishing space, developing reporting systems and ensuring that publishing royalties flow from Spotify to our creative community. It will require cross-functional work and a deep understanding of the US publishing landscape, as well as a good understanding of the publishing landscape ex-US.
What you’ll do:
- You will be responsible for the commercial side of licensing including Publishers and PROs within the US.
- You will initiate, negotiate and close key deals with rights holders (PROs and Publishers) according to Spotify’s financial and strategic objectives.
- You will work with a team of negotiators across the globe.
- You will be responsible for scoping Spotify’s US Publishing strategy together with the wider Commercial Licensing team and ensuring that this compliments the wider licensing strategy and company’s objectives and growth.
- You will work closely with the Legal Licensing team to prepare and execute agreements.
- You will work closely with internal stakeholders (finance, reporting, growth, and analytics teams) to ensure agreements resonate with the company’s long-term plans.
- You will identify and tackle the challenges in the US publishing space and define solutions to pave the way ahead.
- You will work closely with Spotify’s data and reporting teams on reporting systems, royalty flows and data transparency.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. MBA or JD preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in deal structuring and negotiating publishing rights at a music publisher, digital music service, record label or collecting society.
- A deep understanding of the US publishing space and regulatory environment, how it has developed the last 10 years, and the challenges ahead.
- You have knowledge of the wider global publishing landscape, understanding the territorial differences and overlaps in this space and how rights flow.
- The ability to build, keep and maintain good relations internally and externally in the industry – a talent for connecting with people is key.
- A self-starter with excellent commercial skillset.
- Good experience/ understanding of the tech and media sector, preferably relating to music.
- Strong analytical/spreadsheet skills with the ability to build and explain financial models.
- A team leader and team player.
- The ability to adapt quickly. The industry is changing fast and it is critical to be able to adapt to new market conditions and circumstances.
- A willingness to travel.
- Well-organized with the ability to plan and deliver on tight deadlines with attention to detail.
- You are fluent in English. Business-fluency in a second language is a plus.
- You are a huge music fan and a daily Spotify user.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.