We are looking for an experienced insights leader to join the band and help drive a data-first culture across Spotify. Product Insights’ mission is to get a deep understanding of our users to impact the strategy and direction of Spotify. We do this through analyzing terabytes of user data to understand behavior and by using qualitative research techniques to understand user needs. You will be the Insights leader for our "User Engagement" business area being part of the User Engagement lead team. The "User Engagement" business area is concerned with finding the most optimal matching between users and content and putting the two together. That is mostly done through automatic creation of personalized playlists but also through recommending the right playlists at the right time.
The User Engagement area is about 150 people but growing quickly. You’ll be leading a team of 15 Data Scientists, User Researchers and Research Scientists, but we expect this number to grow rapidly. Some of the major problems your team will be working on include exploring new interactions with Spotify and its content, as well as understanding how to measure success and the quality of our recommendations in the form of, for instance, algorithmically created playlists. Your team will also be responsible for identifying signals that will allow us to continuously enhance our user experience and personalization of content.What You’ll Do
- Lead a mixed discipline insights team of data scientists, user researchers, and research scientists, performing analyses on large sets of data and studying user behavior to extract actionable insights that will help drive decisions across the business
- Communicate data-driven insights and recommendations to key stakeholders
- Work closely with cross-functional teams of analysts, product owners, marketers, designers, and others across the company who are passionate about Spotify’s success
- Define the scope for data science and user research for some of Spotify’s highest priority products.
- Help shape the future for Product Insights within Spotify as we grow
- Work from our offices in New York or Boston
Who You Are
- You have 10+ years of experience as a people-manager, with an established track record of hiring, growing, and mentoring teams working across multiple business areas.
- You have at least 12+years of experience in a similar data science or insights role and a degree in science, computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics, or similar quantitative discipline (PhD preferred)
- You have a deep understanding of numbers, as well as a strong business sense and ability to help drive strategic business decisions
- You have a passion for making sense of user behavior, using any available methods
- You have experience leading or collaborating with user researchers
- You have experience working in a product analytics or insights role and have worked with A/B tests and iterative product design
- You have experience with advanced analytics:
- Coding skills for analytics and data extraction (SQL, R, Python, Pandas)
- Data visualization (such as Tableau, Qlik, D3, ggplot)
- Experience performing analysis with large datasets
- Plus if you have a track record for innovation and have publications in communities such as WWW, CHI, UbiComp, SIGIR, Interspeech, HRI, CSCW, RecSys, or related.
- You have experience working with Machine Learning scientists
- You are intrigued by how interaction design, data collection strategies, and people’s perceptions affect Machine Learning outcomes
- You are passionate about detecting, understanding, and addressing algorithmic bias in large online systems
- You are a communicative person that values building strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders and have the ability to explain complex topics in simple terms.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.