We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead teams that build APIs, SDKs, and services that power Spotify’s consumer experiences on platforms like desktop, web, TVs, speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations.
The SDK team focuses on making it easy to create the best Spotify experience for any device or product. We provide a solid platform for others to build and experiment on, which enables us to make our product available wherever our users are. We currently serve tens of millions of monthly active users through our backend services, SDKs and APIs with tens of thousands of requests per second.
As a Director of Engineering, you will work closely with your Product counterpart to define and execute on a healthy and progressive product and technical strategy that maximizes our reach and impact for the business. You will also drive impact through the Engineering Managers who report to you by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assessing the technical state of teams, advocating for best practices broadly, and providing focused mentoring to teams. You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time.
What you’ll do
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile tribe and within Spotify in general.
- Be accountable for the technical vision and long-term technology strategy. Work closely with your product peers to define product vision and strategy.
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and other engineering leaders to enable experiences that build awesome music sessions for Spotify users worldwide.
- Lead and support the talented engineers who architect, develop, and operate Java based APIs and services deployed.
- Lead and support the Spotify-wide backend and client developer community, influencing and driving our architecture across the company.
- Enable learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other engineers.
- Work directly with suppliers and partners to influence technical platforms and decisions.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify.
What we are looking for
- You have several years of experience in leading an engineering organization.
- You have shown experience as a technical leader for other managers.
- Prior to your technical leadership experience, you have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering the best engineering practices.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech.
- In the past, you have solved problems that affect the larger engineering organization.
- You are passionate about developing products for hundreds of millions of consumers and platforms that are used by hundreds of business users and engineers.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise.
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow.
- You possess technical leadership knowledge where you can showcase your expertise by speaking at both internal and external conferences.
You will be working from our awesome offices in central Stockholm. We offer relocation packages if you do not currently live in Sweden.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.