We are looking for a passionate and seasoned engineering leader to join Spotify’s User Engagement group. Our goal is to make every listening session more engaging through personalization and discovery. In this role, you’ll help multiple teams find better ways to combine our understanding of music with our 140M+ users’ unique tastes and preferences, helping music fans listen longer, find new artists they love, and come back to Spotify more often.
The current team is around 90 engineers (rapidly growing) who work on the Spotify Home-recommendation screenpage programming, our personalized playlists (Discover Weekly, Daily Mix, Release Radar), the Radio feature, our tools for music editors plus the platform that publishes content into all Spotify surfaces.
What you’ll do
- Drive the team forward to ensure we operate a state of the art personalisation technology stack
- Work closely as part of a tight-knit team with your product and design counterparts in the User Engagement group. Influence product direction through scientific and technical insights.
- Lead teams that continuously ship product improvements and diligently measures the results
- Incorporate advances in research into our solutions to ensure we take full advantage of the best science available
- Inspire, manage, and grow our group’s existing engineering team
- Work from our NYC office (with frequent travel) to serve teams that span NYC, Boston, and Stockholm
- Be part of the User Engagement leadership group and participate in all strategic decisions within
Who you are
- You have substantial demonstrated experience building and shipping well-loved software products. You’ve had many experiences with successful product launches.
- You have substantial experience with building and operating state of the art personalisation technology
- You have experience managing ~100 people engineering teams and have successfully solved many of the tough organisational challenges that follow
- Strong technical background as evidenced by multiple engineering leadership roles of increasing seniority with a personal preference for remaining highly technical.
- You are a compelling storyteller with experience communicating concepts and ideas to engineers and non-engineers alike
- You have a proven ability to influence decision-making at all levels within an organization, and in a variety of contexts
- You have strong experience building and operating data intensive products that swiftly and automatically learn from the behaviour of its customers.
- Your teams are operating effective software development environments including agile, continuous improvement and continuous delivery
- You have a servant leadership mindset and you subscribe to the cultural values cherished at Spotify.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.