We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join and grow our Growth R&D team in Stockholm.
Growth Opportunities is the part of R&D that focus on deep understanding of user growth and drive holistic product development. We are a highly mixed team where senior engineers work side by side with data scientists, designers, user researchers and product managers to understand and explore the music experience our users love, across demographics and across the world.
We are here to make sure we never stop improving and innovating across Spotify so more fans get to enjoy their favorite music.
What You’ll Do
Growth Opportunities includes three larger areas – We call them Activation, Retention and Global. We are now looking for a Director of Engineering to lead the Activation area and our Stockholm-based technology organisation (we call them tribes). You’ll manage teams looking after sign-up, onboarding, notifications and the new user experience for our apps.
- Lead a fast-growing engineering organization, working on a mission central to Spotify’s success
- Hire, manage and grow a team of engineering managers and senior engineers
- Be part of Spotify’s Tech Leadership and contribute to our overall tech strategy
- Own delivery of engineering solutions to meet goals and milestones
- Own tech health – make sure sound, maintainable, scalable, stable, durable systems being built as appropriate for the goal at hand. Software craftsmanship at a world class level to ensure the highest degree of effectiveness. Quality, reliability, availability of data and data related products.
- Work closely with stakeholders across R&D as well as Marketing, Content and Finance, to deliver systems, software and projects that help Spotify achieve it’s goals, and ultimately guide the future of music.
What We’re Looking For
To be successful in this role, we believe you have experience in the following areas:
- Motivation – You are someone who has a deep appreciation for understanding growth at a company like Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organisation.
- Technical Leadership – It is natural for you to drive technology discussions and you can show a track record of having taken decisions that balance trade offs between e.g quality, speed, long term investments and short term delivery. You are driven by exploring future technologies and have experience of handling legacy code. Ideally, you have worked with experimentation platforms and/or data driven product development.
- People Leadership – You’ve also got a track record on the people side, building and leading engineering teams in an agile environment. You have a nose for good culture and are able to foster and grow people and teams. Developing leadership and building great managers is second nature to you. Ideally, you have been through hyper growth, and have experience with a 40+ person organisation.
What We Value
Innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are a start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands good culture and will help shape it as it evolves.
Spotify brings you the right music for every moment. We play music for over 140 million active users, with more than 40 million subscribers. We’ve launched in 58 markets with over 30 millions songs.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.