Spotify’s awesome Legal team is growing. We’re facing cutting-edge challenges that mirror the cutting-edge industry and product at the heart of our company. As we’ve expanded into 79 countries and our company has grown tremendously, we find ourselves facing new and exciting legal issues every day. As Spotify’s Global Compliance Counsel, you will be responsible for oversight of implementation of the company’s ethics and compliance program around the world, including programs around non-discrimination and non-retaliation, anti-bribery & corruption, third-party due diligence, conflicts of interest, trade sanctions and export control issues, anti-money laundering, and related areas of risk. You will have primary responsibility for developing, training and ensuring compliance with our Code of Conduct and other policies; you will be Spotify’s head of investigations into legal compliance-related issues, including non-discrimination and non-retaliation.
What you’ll do:
- You will be the primary point of escalation for alleged violations of Spotify’s Code of Conduct and other policies, including Spotify’s anti-discrimination and non-retaliation policies.
- You will head up Spotify’s legal compliance investigations around the world, managing cross functionally to ensure that effective processes and resolutions are in place.
- You will be the Legal team’s primary point of contact in maintaining the company’s internal and external reporting hotline.
- You will be Spotify’s primary expert on legal compliance laws and regulations, working with a network of internal and external counsel around the world.
- You will have primary responsibility for collating and preparing ethics and compliance metrics and other information for senior management, where appropriate.
- You will oversee the continued development of Spotify’s compliance and ethics program, including drafting and implementing risk-based policies, developing and executing effective training programs and other procedures and initiatives, and working closely with global stakeholders to manage risk across the company.
- You will be the Spotify Legal team’s primary ethics professional working with Spotify’s Internal Audit, Human Resources, Trust & Safety, Finance, and Reputation/Communications teams.
- You will support Spotify’s Internal Audit, Human Resources, and Global Affairs groups on compliance issues globally.
- You will work with other teams at Spotify to provide guidance on pending legislation and to ensure compliance with existing and upcoming laws such as anti-bribery and corruption laws and trade sanctions.
- You will support transactional/deal teams that are drafting and negotiating agreements that may raise compliance issues.
Who you are:
- You have a law degree (or equivalent) from a top-tier law school.
- You have a minimum of 12+ years of experience in compliance, investigations, and litigation.
- You have experience investigating allegations of discrimination and retaliation or otherwise have experience involving policies / training involving non-discrimination.
- You have experience working in-house developing a right-sized compliance program, preferably with another tech or media company.
- You have experience with compliance laws and regulations globally, as well as litigation experience with a top-tier law firm or government bureau.
- International (non-US, non-UK) experience is a plus. Some travel will be required for the position.
- You are active in relevant bar associations and attend topical forums to stay on top of best practices in ethics and compliance.
- You have experience in partnering with global stakeholders.
- You have a passion for legal problems; you can explain legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- You are a problem solver, and can stay calm when problems come your way.
- You are self-motivated and can identify and attack work to be done without being instructed.
- You can juggle lots of simultaneous tasks and triage to make sure the right matters get your attention.
- You’re willing to get your hands dirty and dig in on projects.
- You work well as part of a team — both with other lawyers and with non-legal stakeholders.
- JD degree (or equivalent) and qualified lawyer with membership in at least one US state bar or international equivalent.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.