The core of Spotify’s business is our freemium model, delivering an amazing free experience and providing an on-ramp to our subscription premium tiers. With over 170 million monthly active users and over 75 million users enjoying Spotify Premium, we’re off to a good start!
Over the last few years, we’ve built out an exceptional team, and a solid platform to support our users, work with partners, and attract new subscribers. However, we see this as only the beginning of our Premium business. The challenge ahead is to scale the people, culture, technology and business for our Spotify Premium service platform. We believe there is much more we can do to improve our existing offering, expand the market and craft innovative experiences for consumers and partners alike.
What We’re Looking For
We’re searching for someone to lead one of our Stockholm based design organisations (we call them product areas or tribes), focused on the platforms and services that will power Spotify Premium growth. Our design leaders partner with their tech, product, and insights counterparts, balancing input and strategy from our Marketing and business stakeholders, to deliver exceptional tools, experiences, and results for our users and partners alike.
To be successful, you have experience in the following areas:
- Motivation – You are someone who has a deep appreciation for the role that Premium features, marketing and payments can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organisation.
- Management & leadership – You have practical management experience with designers in agile product development environment, and you are able to foster and grow the culture in cross-functional teams through advocacy.
- Team builder – You have experience hiring product designers and some experience with guiding teams through hyper growth.
- Collaborative – You have deep history working with Product Managers, Developers, and Product Insights/Researchers, Business Partner teams as well as a working understanding of how to discover unmet customer needs, create a shared hypothesis, prototype features and test the adoption of a paid service as a business model.
- Domain experience – The paid subscriptions and commerce domains are fast paced, prone to dark UX patterns (which is NOT what we’re interested in), and not necessarily intuitive. Existing understanding and ability to evangelise is valuable for the role.
You will be responsible for co-leading a product area, including management of 3-8 designers focused on delivering outstanding tools and experiences to our growing user base.
What you’ll do
- Alongside your Tech and Product counterparts, you will be responsible for leading a product area, which has responsibilities across many areas of Spotify. This includes internal and external/customer-facing tools on both web and native platforms. You’ll provide thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Shape the data-informed product design vision for the user experience of the products we make in this Tribe and create the space for others to collaborate across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Put a premium on listening to users, both directly and through the work of our Product Insights team, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Hire and grow the craft of talented designers for your product area and across Spotify.
- Be accountable. You’ll take full ownership your product area, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way, including how the work your Tribe contributes to an overarching and holistic user experience.
Who you are
- You have extensive experience leading design teams with a variety of crafts (visual, interaction/IA, writing, research, etc.) at consumer-focused or business-to-business product organizations that feature strong value propositions and high tech service integrations.
- You are a player/coach/servant leader with practical design chops. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator. You have the communication skills to help you work cross-functionally with business stakeholders, You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You have a user and data-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your teams instincts through user feedback and data insight. You understand the role and importance of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge.
- You are familiar and comfortable working within and contributing to large design systems that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of the larger design ecosystem with the local goals of your product area.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, highlighting work leading teams that is relevant to the role.
What We Value
Dogmatic user focus, innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are the start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it, and will help shape it as it evolves.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.