The core of Spotify’s business is our freemium model, delivering an amazing free experience that sets us apart globally.
With over 45 million users enjoying our free product, we’re off to a good start. Over the last few years, we’ve built out an exceptional team, and a solid platform to support our users, our sales teams and our advertising partners. However, we see this as only the beginning of our ads and free monetization efforts and we are looking for the right person to join our team and create an experience that will push us into the future.
The challenge ahead is how to scale the people, culture, design and business for our advertising & promotional platform. There is much more we can do to iterate on our existing offering, expand the market for digital formats and craft innovative promotional experiences for brands and artists alike. We’ve caught up with the advertising market at large, and believe the next step is to take the lead.
What We’re Looking For
We’re searching for someone to lead one of our New York based design organisations (we call them product areas or tribes), focused on developing tools and experiences for advertisers on our platform because we believe that delivering excellent experiences to advertisers will result in excellent experiences for our listeners and artists. Our designers work collaboratively with both business, product, research, and technology teams, to deliver standout promotional experiences for our users and customers alike.
To be successful, you have experience in the following areas:
- Motivation – You are someone who has a deep appreciation for the role that advertising & promotion can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organisation.
- Management & leadership – You have practical management experience with designers in agile product development environment, and you are able to foster and grow the culture in cross-functional teams through advocacy.
- Team builder – You have experience hiring product designers and some experience with guiding teams through hyper growth.
- Collaborative – You have deep history working with other Design leaders, Product Managers, Developers, and Product Insights/Researchers, as well as a working understanding of either advertising technology and/or media platforms that rely on advertising as a business model.
- Domain experience – We are truly looking to push the envelope and keep the best interests of our users (both consumers AND advertisers) at heart. The adtech domain is fast paced, prone to dark UX patterns (which is NOT what we’re interested in), and not necessarily intuitive. We are hoping to challenge those antiquated values, and an existing understanding and ability to evangelise is valuable for the role.
You will be responsible for co-leading a product area of one of our tribes, including management of 5-10 designers focused on delivering outstanding advertiser tools and experiences.
What you’ll do
- Alongside your Tech and Product counterparts, you will be responsible for leading a product area, which has responsibilities across many areas of Spotify. This includes internal and external/customer-facing tools on both web and native platforms. You’ll provide thought leadership to develop the right product strategy. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Shape the data-informed product design vision for the user experience of the products we make in this Tribe and create the space for others to collaborate across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Put a premium on listening to users, both directly and through the work of our Product Insights team, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Hire and grow the craft of talented designers for your product area and across Spotify.
- Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership your product area, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way, including how the work your Tribe contributes to an overarching and holistic user experience.
- Work from our office in New York with travel to Stockholm on a semi-regular basis.
Who you are
- You have extensive experience leading design teams with a variety of crafts (visual, interaction/IA, writing, research, etc.) at consumer-focused tech or media companies. Ideally that feature deep and rich ad integrations.
- You are a player/coach/servant leader with practical design chops you don’t mind dusting off from time-to-time. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator and storyteller. You have the communication skills to help you work cross-functionally with business stakeholders and cross functional partners. You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You are people-focused and have the right balance of gut, pragmatic intuition and a user and data-focused design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your team’s instincts through a variety of inputs – including trend analysis, benchmarks, user feedback and data insight.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge and fit right in to our growth-focused culture.
- You thrive in coaching teams to balance short term needs while keeping an eye on and contributing to long term strategic goals.
- You are familiar and comfortable working within and contributing to large design systems that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of the larger design ecosystem with the local goals of your mission.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting a portfolio of work that represents who you are as a designer and leader.
What We Value
Dogmatic user focus, innovation, collaboration, transparency, passion and playfulness are the start. We believe our culture is a core part of what makes Spotify successful. We’re looking for someone who understands our culture, will thrive within it, and will help shape it as it evolves.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of changing the way the world listens to music.