Spotify’s mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.
We are looking for an extraordinary Data Scientist to join the band and build core analytics to support our Music organization. The Music organization is responsible for editorial music recommendations, programming of music content on Spotify, relationships with the music industry, artist marketing, and live events.
What you’ll do:
- Perform analyses on large sets of data to extract actionable insights that will drive decisions, with a particular focus on the Spotify Kids app, as well as our general ecosystem of editorial playlists.
- Lead content gap analysis for the Kids app through launch.
- Facilitate communication between analytics and editorial teams on a playlist by playlist basis, including reporting on “algotorial” playlists.
- Evaluate gaps in the global editorial system and create demographic-based playlist propositions to fill them.
- Monitor, synthesize and create data systems to surface growing songs and artists within the global editorial system. Create a system of benchmarks for entrance into different playlists across multiple genres.
- Engineer novel data sets and features that shed new light on the dynamics of music listening.
- Communicate data-driven insights and recommendations to non-technical audiences, through clear visualizations and presentations.
Who you are:
- You are passionate about music and popular culture in general. Previous experience in music is a strong preference. Other media, entertainment or technology experience is also highly valued.
- You are a natural communicator, who focuses just as much on the delivery and the “so what” of your insights, as you do on the technical craft of extracting them.
- You have a degree in a quantitative field, such as Computer Science/Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics; advanced degree is desirable.
- 2+ years (5+ years for senior role) of relevant experience analyzing complex data with SQL, Python, and/or R.
- Experience building data visualizations and dashboards (e.g., Tableau or similar BI solution).
- Modeling and statistical knowledge, such as forecasting, AB-testing, or feature engineering for machine learning is a plus.
- Experience creating and scheduling datasets is highly valued. Knowledge of Google’s BigQuery or Java/Scala is a plus.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.