The Royalty Engineering team, also known as RoaR, is part of the Finance business unit but has a strong tech culture. Being in this domain means we as a team are involved in many overarching initiatives across the company. We consume and produce enormous amounts of data and write and maintain some of the most complex business logic in Spotify. We are now looking for a skilled and motivated data engineer who can further strengthen our team and help us grow even more.
Working with royalties means that we make sure that the rights holders (record labels, publishers and collecting societies) are getting paid correctly for all the content that is streamed every day on Spotify. In addition to that we are responsible for verifying publishing claims and processing huge amounts of data into detailed reports required by Spotify’s licensors to run their business.
We work in squads with a typical size of 5-8 people. We believe in aligned autonomy within squads, with shared higher level goals and processes and with freedom to experiment on how we’re executing towards the goals. We expect individuals to be selfless and cooperate across disciplines, always ready to contribute where the need is most. As such, we encourage cross-training and movement between both squads and disciplines.
We are currently in the process of redesigning and modernising our systems and tech stack. We work with GCP distributed technologies such as DataFlow, Google Kubernetes Engine, BigQuery and PubSub and build data pipelines using Spotify’s open sourced Scio framework. We also need to support our current systems and plan for a smooth transition. We are challenged to deliver at a fast pace without compromising on quality and future adaptability in an environment where requirements are changing all the time. We are here to revolutionize the music industry.
You will be writing code and committing to our live code base in collaboration with your own squad members and other squads. You will also be working closely with engineering and product managers in your squad and across squads. You like to work with large amount of data and complex business logic with high performance and scalability requirements.
You will be working from our Stockholm headquarters. We offer relocation packages if you do not currently live in Sweden.
What you’ll do
- Continuously design, develop, and test data-driven solutions
- Work with state-of-the-art data processing frameworks and technologies
- Help drive the company-wide advancement of Spotify’s data infrastructure, tooling and processes
- Improve data quality through testing, tooling and continuously evaluating performance
- Collaborate with software engineers and business users
- Work in cross-functional agile teams to regularly experiment, iterate, and deliver on new product objectives with an end-to-end responsibility for your squad’s mission
- Work from our office in Stockholm and collaborate with our New York teams
Who you are
- You have a proven record of personally taking large data projects from ideation to implementation
- You have experience architecting and operating large data pipelines
- You know how to work with high volume heterogeneous data with distributed systems such as Hadoop
- You are an expert in one or more higher level JVM-based data processing frameworks like Crunch, Scalding, Storm, Spark and Dataflow (not just Pig/Hive/BigQuery/other SQL-like abstractions)
- You are knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation
- You are passionate about creating clean code and have a strong foundation in coding and building data pipelines
- Previous experience of working with ITGC, GDPR and SOX compliance (common in Fintech) is a plus, but not a requirement
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of background, experience, and perspectives will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and our creators. This is something we value deeply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.