Spotify is looking for a Hybrid Backend/Data Engineer to join our Marketplace Engineering organization. You will build data solutions and distributed services to bring music and digital media experiences to our 286 million active users and millions of artists. Either by working directly on product features, publishing, and insight tools for artists or by improving the quality of our software tools and large scale infrastructure. You will take on complex data and distributed systems problems using some of the most diverse datasets available — user behaviors, acoustical analysis, revenue streams, cultural and contextual data, and other signals across our broad range of mobile and connected platforms. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music!
What you’ll do
- Build large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines with data processing frameworks like Scalding, Scio, Storm, Spark, and the Google Cloud Platform.
- Design, develop, and deploy backend services in Java with a focus on high availability, robustness, and monitoring.
- Use best practices in continuous integration and delivery.
- Help drive optimization, testing, and tooling to improve data and systems quality.
- Work in multi-functional agile teams to continuously experiment, iterate, and deliver on new product objectives.
- Take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth by providing you ambitious tasks to tackle and the time needed to acquire new skills
Who you are
- Have 3+ years of professional experience working in a product facing environment.
- Worked with high volume heterogeneous data, preferably with distributed systems such as Hadoop, BigTable, and Cassandra.
- Experienced in writing distributed, high-volume services in Java or Scala.
- Have an understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- Knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques.
- Deployed and operated services in a cloud environment such as GCP or AWS
- Enjoy close collaboration with web engineers and passionate about the software architecture across the backend, frontend and the APIs that glue them together
- Care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 286 million users.